[AIS] Special equipment required -- Need to borrow 6-man raft, ELRP,and man-overboard-pole setup.

Herb herb at eworld3.net
Thu May 22 12:34:41 CDT 2003

MessageHi Mark,

Glad you are going to make it!
Don't worry about that safety equipment (at least to be in compliance) for the Around the Islands race. The race is double-scored as either a club race (Cat 4), or as part of the offshore series (Cat 3). Raceweek is of course Cat 4 and doesn't require that gear.

Having said that; it is possible to do the Around the Islands race in a Capri 25, just bear in mind that it is over 70 miles and often a mixture of very light air and occasionally VERY HAIRY weather with few means of immediate escape. Or it can be also just about perfect weather too!

I know that J-24's from Duluth often do the race and would get in contact with some of those people to see what they recommend. Also look at the forecasts and see if you will enjoy yourself or gauge what your tolerance for endurance and/or "excitement" are....

Raceweek last year (and I'm quite sure this year) will offer free launch and haulout to trailered boats like yours on (I think) Saturday. That would save you around $150 from launching on Thursday or Friday before Around the Islands which can also factor in. Another thing is that if you haven't been to Bayfield area before you might want to start race week fresh with a practice sail in the bay rather than recuperating from possibly 24 hours plus completing the Around the Islands.

I'm certainly not trying to completely discourage you from doing what I think is the most fun and tactically challenging race in the entire Lake Superior offshore series, I just want to make sure you enter into it aware of the practicalities of doing that race in a smaller/slower boat then turning around and doing the following raceweek.

If you would like my opinion (and not everyone does), if I were you I would bring my boat up for raceweek, but race the Around the Islands on one of the big, fast comfortable boats that are nearly always looking for crew. You will finish the race before last call, you and your Capri crew will be fresh and rested for Raceweek (which is a very demanding week of sailing as it is), you will still get to enjoy the medium distance Cat Island Chase race within the islands on your own boat as part of the series, and you will save a healthy amount of money on launch fees.

If you would like any more information please email the list again!

Look forward to seeing you in Bayfield!

Herb Garcia
Galaxy Girl