[AIS] Raceweek emergency!

George Hansen georgeh at nowmicro.com
Tue Nov 25 12:19:57 CST 2003

Hello - glad to be in the loop on this one, and happy to help any way I
can.

What seemed to work well in the past was to identify a 'headquarters'
for the event - like most regattas.  It sounds like we could do
registration etc. at the pavilion as usual, and then move 'HQ' elsewhere
for the end of the week.  That might confuse some people, if we change
the 'HQ' part way through the event, and we probably would not get as
much 'bang' for our buck by doing that.

Since we do not have the pavilion for end of the week - awards etc -
maybe we should look for new Headquarters that is available for the
whole week.  Because we are trying to make the 25th annual Bayfield
Race Week a commemorative event, I think it would be smart to partner
with Bayfield's premier lodging facility - the Bayfield Inn - to help
distinguish the 25th Race Week.

Bill mentioned the Inns' flexibility, with the conference room, the
private dining room options etc.  In addition, the Inn has the
Bar/lounge, the upstairs deck, which is tented and could easily serve as
raffle area - even awards area if set up properly.  It is much bigger
than some places we have had events - Greunkeis - Bates  - AIYC etc, and
because there are nice rooms, food, bars, restaurant, and a very good
location - it is probably the best qualifier as a headquarters type of
facility still available.  They could do the food for the Awards as
well.

Ron Maddich is the one to speak with - super nice, and I think he would
be very willing to make the Inn functioning HQ for the week.  The Inn
was our wedding HQ this past fall and everything worked out superbly for
us.  I suspect we could arrange to block out rooms @ discount rates for
racers, and other distinguishng things (IE breakfast buffet for
racers...'official notice/scoreboard area'  'protest meetings' 'Sailors
happy hour' after racing, or whatever we would like to promote along
with the Inn.

There are some drawbacks with the Inn.  It is not the least expensive
venue in town and not quite as big as we might like.   But the Inn is
the premier property in Bayfield today, and because it offers us a great
deal of flexibility and amenities in (1) facility, I think it would be a
great place to host the 25th annual Race Week.

This is just my suggestion.  I am traveling to Bayfield tomorrow and
would be happy to help in any way I can.

Regards,
George Jr.
612-940-2702 Cell

George Hansen
Now Micro
2185 West Highway 36
Roseville MN 55113

georgeh at nowmicro.com

Direct Dial Toll-Free:   877-655-2126
Direct Dial Local:        651-393-2126

www.nowmicro.com

>>> "Bill Peterson" <BPeterson at banta.com> 11/25/03 11:07AM >>>

There is a fairly large conference room in the basement of the Bayfield
Inn. I think it might be large enough for our needs. Morties and Bates
would need to be worked out with Mary Rice's organization. I am not sure
if either of them still have a liquor license due to expiration if they
are not renewed and or used. The tent concept might work, other groups
have used the park for socials like Apostle Islands Marina and the fire
department. Another option might be to ask the Pier if they would shut
down for a private party, they have been doing the food and have a
liquor license.  Actually, the Bayfield Inn has closed down the
restaurant many times this summer for private parties, so they might
also be an option.
Bill