[AIS] NN von Gohren

Jerry Jerry at home-ed-pro.com
Sun Aug 8 15:36:41 CDT 2010

Hello vG's

Hope all went well with wedding and travel.  Looked for writeup but
didn't find one.

My travel to Whidby Isl Race Week, followed by Orcas Museum and Orcas
Library and NW Collection at UW and Nat'l Archives in Seattle is now
over.  So after sealing the deck and driveway, I'll return to family
history.

I did find the actual publication of ML Kimple's article about EvG
(Orcas Islander, Feb 21, 1946).  I don' t know if you have a copy of the
page, with his picture, or just the text as you sent me.  So I do have a
copy, picture might be hard to copy again.  It does appear to be the
same person that is on pg 99 (The Odd Fellows in their regalia) of Orcas
Island, Images of America),  EvG would be 3rd from right in the back row.

I noticed varying middle initials for EvG in ibid above and in Orcas,
Gem of the San Juans.  Both Ernest V and Ernest H appear.
Do you know why that might have happened?  I only know it as E.L. vG

I struggled with the vG property ownership history.  My starting point
was the 1885 survey that showed a large orchard with 3 structures and
the EvG ownership notation. I interpolated the lat/long from the survey
and decided it was about at the end of Mt. Baker Rd.  A local there
corrected me, to the intersection of Crescent Beach Dr. and Olga Rd--on
the same angle from town, but a little closer in--and that there were a
few of the original fruit trees still there.

So I found it the the transition books (gov't to pvt ownership) at the
Nat'l Archives in Seattle, first bought in early 80's, but then
"canceled" soon after.  So, what happened if it still shows his
ownership in the 1885 survey.  I suspect the county records for San
Juan, or maybe Whatcom will be where I look next. At least I now have
the township, etc. description.

The microfilm at the UW has many references to ELvG activity in the
various area newspapers.

The assistant at the Orcas Library pointed out to Pam , with a wink (she
was at the library about 2 weeks later) that there was also an Orcas
History article in the local paper that claimed Tulloch was the lead
horticulturist dude in developing the orchard industry on the island.

After thought--I suspect you may have absorbed much of the Orcas and
later stories because of your much longer access to your father.

90 plus degrees and humid here.  Decided not to go sailing and bake in
the sun, with no wind.

Jerry vG