[AIS] Zipporah - Bermuda to Azores to Europe

Doug Mann 2dougm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 19:17:25 CDT 2017

We are looking for 2 crew to join Doug this June on an Atlantic crossing from Bermuda to the Azores… and then onto Europe.  Expecting departure second week of June - weather dependent.  Should be able to take in some America’s Cup action in Bermuda before leaving!

The Zipporah “program” works like this… we provide the opportunity and a prepared boat with captain and the crew get themselves to/from boat, share food costs and duties on board, and together we all sail a big adventure.  And since it’s a ”together” adventure an effort can be made re crew logistical desires ... e.g. how long to stay in Azores, where to make landfall in Europe (England, France or Spain?), meal planning, etc.

Zipporah is an Express 37, and having participated in the 2016 Newport-Bermuda Race she has all the significant safety equipment required for CAT1 offshore racing as certified by the race inspector.  She is otherwise simply outfitted… no freezer, no generator, no hot water.  But she has very comfortable sea berths, a water maker and is roomy - for a 37 footer!  And she sails very well…
http://sailingmagazine.net/article-547-express-37.html <http://sailingmagazine.net/article-547-express-37.html>

We have secured Chris Parker’s professional weather service and will get updates en route via satellite phone.

Yes… I realize this request for crew is coming a little late but it’s still 3 months away.  It is however the better part of a one month commitment - although I’m interested to know of any desires to just do the first leg to the Azores.

Some offshore experience is required including sailing overnight for multiple days on a single outing.  Offshore can include ocean-coastal or Great Lakes.

I think these are all the big-picture details required for consideration… obviously lots more to work through after committing.

During the first week of April we expect to sail to Haiti and spend most of the month there… where communications can be challenging.  It would be awesome to have this request filled before then.  Of course this is a first-come first served opportunity to qualified crew… so don’t delay!  And please spread the word…we would appreciate it…  think of all those people you’ve heard say.. “I would love to do an Atlantic crossing someday”.  Here’s the chance!!

Please reply with any questions.  If you prefer to talk I would too!     763-210-8842

Thanks,
Doug & Mary
SV Zipporah