[Capri25] Fwd: Fw: David's letter to Vicente Fox

Rodriguez, Jesus [MIT] jesus.d.rodriguez at medtronic.com
Fri Apr 7 15:14:56 CDT 2006

As written it is funny, but it looks to me as another piece of
misinformation loaded with lack of respect for all immigrants, legal or
not.

The truth of the matter is that Mexican immigrants (legal or illegal)
come here to make a better life for themselves and their families due to
the bad economic conditions and government corruption in their country.
Most of them are caring, hard working, honest individuals that were
unlucky to be born on a poor country besides an ultra rich one.

The legal ones pay taxes, and invest their savings buying a home so in
many instances crime ridden and damaged neighborhoods in our inner
cities are being slowly restored by these immigrants buying property,
fixing it, and pushing crime away

The illegals risk their lives to cross the border and many of them pay
large amounts of money to some US criminals who pass them across,
sometimes leaving them in the desert to die in locked trucks if they
feel threaten by the police.

Those that make it in, get jobs that no American wants to do, they get
paid miserably, and do not have any benefits.  If they or their families
are sick, they are afraid to go to hospitals or a doctor for fear of
being caught and deported.

I teach English on a inner city Church some evenings and meet "these
people".  So when I see these cute, funny stories, I need to think that
the writer is severely misinformed or there is a hidden agenda behind
it.

Immigrants should come to the US following the established rules and
under the full protection of the law but those that come illegally do it
out of desperation and abided by US business people that want cheap
labor.

By the way, any wave of immigrants has been met with the same mistrust
and rejection.  We only need to look back a few years in our history to
find what was being said about and done to German, Irish, Italian, and
Chinese immigrants, to name a few.

Jesus Rodriguez