[Capri25] From Mark Hammett - Ham-It-Up! -- Need feedback on Stern Rail Options

Mark Hammett mkhammett at sprintmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:32:38 UTC 2007

Greeting Class Members:

I'm faced with the replacement of both the bow pulpit and stern rail after the damage from the storm in July. The bow pulpit is pretty straight forward on the style, shape, and height with little or no variations.

The stern rail however has some options that I would like to explore with the fleet.

I'm considering the split corner rail version to fit our boat and use a wire rope lifeline across the stern.  The reason is mainly for cost, shipping, and better access handling the outboard motor as I advance in age and for consideration of my crews size and ability as well.

The corner rails would support the normal lifeline strain from bow to stern and would allow mounting the VHF antenna, pennant staff, stern light, and horseshoe ring like the original.  The addition of the lifeline across the top insures safety containment like the bar would do; but is removable during the use, removal, and installation of the outboard motor.

The second option is a single rail with the center top bar removed and a lower bar welded at the half-height position. That center section is defined by the two vertical stanchions on the stern from the gunwale to the top rail.

I'm asking for everyone's opinion and I need to know if this requires the fleet for an approval of this variation under rules of the class; specifically:

Article III -- RACING REQUIREMENTS

2.       Bow pulpit, stern rail, and stanchions shall be factory standard or equivalent*. Life lines shall be factory standard or equivalent* and shall be sufficiently taut.

* Subject to approval by the Planning/Rules Committee by petitioning for a waiver as stated in Article II-B.4.

Since Catalina Yachts no longer manufactures or supplies the OEM rails and the cost for a custom rail to match the original has been quoted from the one of the original suppliers (still waiting for more quotes to come in) at $500.00 and the bow pulpit is quoted at $400.00, plus $275.00 for shipping and handling (from CA) is a staggering figure. And will take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

The split rails are significantly cheaper and are readily available in WI - so I would like to go that route.  And let me remind you that fleet racing reaps havoc on our boats every year and even though Rule 14 exists, contact to pulpits and stern rails is still very costly.  I for one would rather replace one half of the stern rail in the future over having to replace the whole, when those bad things happen. So please consider that when forming your opinion to allow or disallow this variation.

If anyone has a local source for building both pulpit and stern rail for less than $900.00 - I'm all ears.

Respectfully requested,

Mark Hammett

Owner / Skipper

Capri 25 #370