[Capri25] RE: Fleet Captains Meeting

John Speltz johnspeltz at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 08:12:53 CST 2007

I thought what Dan said was spot-on. I hope I am not opening a can of worms,
but here are ideas to put on the table for discussion:

1.	Look to place term limits on yacht club positions in an effort to
reduce entrenchment of ideas and balance of power. The off-set might be that
no one would fill the positions. Counter to the counter - many folks are
intimidated about becoming involved because the jobs appear inside a closed
system.
2.	Larger fleets need more representation. Practically speaking, the
Sonar fleet gets twice the number of votes that the Capri fleet does with 16
boats verses 31, respectively.
3.	Hasty decisions regarding course and start changes could have
lasting effects on fleet moral.  They should be well thought out. Any course
and starting sequence changes should be rotational. If they are fair, that
should not be a problem.
4.	In my view, trap. courses debase the race. Would increasing the
start intervals be a positive alternative to start with-- no pun intended?
5.	Justice delayed is justice denied. That is the other side of hasty
decisions. My boat has spent a lot of time waiting to have protest heard
with no regard to its effects and the unintended consequences. Many times we
just skip it. If you are the defendant in a protest - drag your feet, have a
beer and be frequently indisposed - you will probably win by default. When
Dick Rose and Dave Perry came to speak about the rules a year or so ago,
they were very straight-forward. The heavy burden of over-complicated and
delayed protest hearings has made the rules at the WYC a shaggy dog story.
6.	I did not appreciate the notification letter bemoaning cost
increases and spelling out per-foot slip charges and mooring fee increases.
The total number of moorings and slips at the club are fixed and their
market value is not a function of boat length. That increase should be
revisited.
7.	Some thought should be given to the situation where boats are sailed
singe-handed and so, posing a risk to other watercraft and putting fleet
competitors at a conspicuous weight disadvantage. Why are we
weight-adjusting our boats relative to cushions when a boat can sail
single-handed in a 20 knot blow flying the shoot in the bay - that seems
silly.
8.	I would look at the crane with more of a win-win pricing structure.
As it stands now, the people who rarely use the crane are subsidizing those
who utilize the crane all the time. Therefore, I would lower the single use
amount and raise the flat seasonal rate, i.e. $50 per use or $150 per year,
your choice.  Also, would the Wayzata city fathers object to a lighted
Christmas tree atop the crane in the winter?

These are my thoughts. Cordially submitted, Douglas Nedemier, Sergeant at
Arms.