[Capri25] lifting a Capri 25

Joe Mireur joemireur at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 04:10:56 UTC 2008

Thanks all around to Dutch Bull, Andy Spence-Parsons, Bruce Tam, Dallas Johnson, Mark Hammet, Lew Sacks, et al. I asked Dutch for info on lifting a C 25 and I got loads of it!

As usual, I had frowned and tried to squeeze some sense out of my poor old brain. New boat, twenty thousand things to think/worry about simultaneously. Auuugghh over think!

Attached are photos of the first lifting. It came up off the left rear pad first and we let it hang there for a moment while we looked at the chains. The two "main chains" are hi-test 3/8" with Safe Working Loads of about 3000 pounds. I knew for a while, but after the eighteenth trip to Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart/Grainger, I kind of trusted that I had it right and just forgot the actual numbers.

When we got it up off the second pad, it seemed too bow heavy, so we set it back down and took up a couple links in the chain connected to the mast base. Hey, something went right! It picked up ever so slightly bow down, a good thing, keeps the mast away from the hoist. So we set it in the water.

Put our reliable old Honda 2hp on, motored out to Clear Lake. We were fighting the rudder all the way, too dumb to understand what was wrong. We just thought you had to be "a real man" to steer the dang thing. Remember, new boat, no relaxing for us, we're worried about Everything! Until the tiller broke off. We got the jib up and the tiller really got upset about that! With just the jib up, and no tiller, in 12 to 15 knot breezes, we elected to go around in circles for a while. I went forward and took down the jib. Greg came forward to help after it was almost all the way down. I made him go back to where His tiller parts were, and start the dad blame Honda, so we could go back to the dock. Greg didn't know the rudder could turn 360. I did, so I guess I have to take some of the blame. I usually can pin most of it on him, but not this time.

So we did what I guess not everybody, but surely most sailors would do: I went below and fished out a couple of cold ones. Maybe we'll paint the bottom of the tiller white with Other side! Dummy in red.

Now you may wonder why we lift like this. The marina says they have had too many accidents using slings on the one point lift. They have a traveling lift that will pick up anything, provided aircraft can't land on it. But it costs a bunch. The 3 ton lift is included in the monthly rental.  And maybe the main reason - when a hurricane comes, we can drop the mast, hitch up and haul boat. Couple more like Katrina and Rita and I'll come visit y'all.

Thanks again for the information and the helpful comments. Eventually, I'll get a machine shop to make a plate to fit over the two keel bolts and use a 1 inch eye bolt to lift with. I may still use two chains. Belts and suspenders - take no chances!

Joe Mireur
Capri 25 #303 (thinking about a name as soon as I get the new tiller installed)
joe.mireur at earthlink.net