[Capri25] Backstay question

Garry Cooke garry.cooke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:39:50 UTC 2008

You need to be careful how much force you are putting into your boat. The
backstay tension should be limited to no more than 35% the breaking strain
of the backstay wire. If you put too much tension in the rig, you will
increase significantly the compression force in the mast and risk damage to
the bottom of your boat. I know of two Express 30's where the owners put too
much back stay tension and drove the mast down, and cracked the bottom of
the boat, and in one case, let water in. I also know of some Viking 28's
where the deck has been buckled by too much backstay tension. It would be
wise to get a Loos gauge to ensure that you are not over stressing your rig.
good luck
Garry
Capri 25 'Endeavour'

e-mail: garry.cooke at gmail.com