[Capri25] Being on the line at the start, Sundays race.

Dan McNamara mcnamara at visi.com
Tue Jul 15 15:16:11 UTC 2008

For those who were not there, Sundays race was blowing hard,
challenging conditions for a Capri 25.  Still, those who raced were
aggressively at the starting line, so much so that 8 boats were
called over early.  How did this happen?

Most boats were fighting for a spot on the favored pin end.  I though
that the pin was favored because of a wind shift.  I still wanted to
go left because the pressure looked bigger on that side and I was not
expecting the shift to last.  The boats that were around us only
reenforced my thinking.

There was another factor that I did not think of and was not aware of
until after the race.  The pin was not favored because of a wind
shift.  The Committee boat was not firmly anchored and was drifting
backwards.  They had their motor on and were trying to hold position
the best they could.

Conditions that are a challenge for us to race in are also hard for
the RC to setup and get off a race.  One more thing to be aware of
when it is blowing stink.

Dan McNamara