[Capri25] Thurs Short Course

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Sat Aug 1 08:47:51 CDT 2009

Hi All,
Odell, Blake and I discussed the Thursday short course at
length.  Sorry that the fleet ended up with such a short
course.  Blake and Jarrod were looking at two lines of thunderstorms
coming toward the lake.  Blake was looking at live radar on the
committee boat.  The first line didn't have anything in it but rain
and seamed safe to race, so Blake started.  When they decided to
race, the second line looked much more active and possibly
dangerous...lighting.  To further complicate the matter the wind was
switching direction with possible big changes in velocity.  In the
interest of safety and of trying to get in a race, Blake give the
C-25's a shorter course so they could be off the lake if the second
line of storms with lighting got to the lake.

Odell asked the question, "why couldn't they set a 5 leg course and
if the storm came, shorten the race after 3 legs at the windward
mark"?  The problem with this is that we race with a separate finish
line windward of the windward mark and in order to finish at 3 legs,
the mark boat would have to notify the fleet of a change of course at
the leeward mark which would make the timing difficult if lighting
was coming in the storm front.  We use a separate finish line because
the 120-125 boats of all different fleets with some going around the
WW mark and others finishing has a safety issue and is too complex
for the race committee to know who is finishing and who has another
round to go.  Blake didn't want to set longer courses and use Bailiff
to finish some at either the WW mark or at the leeward mark, because
he wanted to have Bailiff available (not at anchor) to render
assistance if the storm hit and a C-25 sunk.

As it turned out, both thunderstorm lines dissipated as they hit the
dry air near the lake and it was a nice light air sail.  So, that
made the short race disappointing for all.  However, when there are
big issues of safety, Blake and I will come down on the side of
safety and what is best for the entire group.

If you still have a problem with what went down, we strongly
encourage you to go on the committee boat for a race as a guest.  You
will have your eyes opened as to the complexity of the operation and
the skill of the WYC race committee.

It is still the intent of the RC to give the C-25 the longer courses
and so serve the C-25 Fleet.

Please feel free to discuss this with me at the club BUT NOT IN EMAILS.

Regards,
Bert Foster
RC Chairman