[Capri25] Notes from the Fleet Captain

Odell Tuttle otuttle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:26:19 CST 2009

Capri 25-er's,

I understand that I've been elected Fleet Captain for the 2009 season.
That's what I get for leaving town in January.  Are you kidding me?  ...I
can't believe anyone wants to stay in Minnesota in January!!!  ;-)

Well, now that I'm here...

First, I want to thank Lew for doing this job for the past two years, and
doing it so well!  He has done a tremendous job with this fleet, and we were
lucky to have him as our Fleet Captain.  Thanks Lew!

Onward...
This is a big fleet with a lot going on.  I hope that I can keep up, and
help us keep moving our fleet forward.  We have a few things that need to be
figured out, and since I'm only doing this for a year, I thought I'd start
early.  I realize we can only focus on a few things at one time, and I'm
trying to figure out what those things should be this year.  To start, I've
dumped a list of topics (below) that are top of mind for me (and many of
you.)  I know this isn't comprehensive, but it should be enough to get you
thinking.  Please have a look, and send me your thoughts, feedback,
complaints, recommendations, and bad jokes.  I'd love to hear from all of
you.

I can't wait to splash-in and see all of you at the club!

Thanks,
Odell

 --
Odell Tuttle

Chief Technology Officer
Healthland
1550 Utica Avenue South; Suite 945
Minneapolis, MN 55416
651.925.7728

*Crew Development*
**
*Recruiting*
How can we better encourage recruiting and networking to find new crew, and
keep crew coming back?  What can we do to help with coordinating crew (i.e.,
finding crew for boats, finding boats for crew)?  There are a few websites
out there that do this for other fleets.  Would it help if we had something
similar?

*Training/Education*
 What are we doing to improve training within our fleet?

*Racing*
**
 *"Rumble in the Bay"*
I remember when this race was conceived, and think it'll be a blast!  How do
we make sure we milk Pete Ice for the most expense when we put this on?
;-)   I really liked the unfamiliar territory aspect of Shorewood races last
year.  Can we do something similar, or are we stuck with running this in
Wayzata Bay?  Who will be our rumble coordinator?

*Match Racing*
I don't think we've had a lot of Capri turn-out?  Can we improve it?

 *Fleet Development*
**
 *Recruiting new boats*
What are we doing to find more local members?  Do we track the Capri's for
sale around the country?  Do we know local members that may be interested
buyers?

*Publicity*
What are we doing to get our fleet mentioned in Scuttlebutt, Northern
Breezes, Sailing, Sail, Sailnet, Sailing Anarchy, etc.?

*Competitiveness/Professionalism/Sportsmanship*
I think we have a very competitive fleet, but what are we doing to keep
raising the bar?

*Boat Resources*
What resources are available to help us all maintain our aging boats?  Where
can we find parts, repairs, guides, etc.?

*Race Analysis/Replay*
I feel strongly that we need something like Kattack (or the like), and that
it should eventually become a fleet rule to get more usage.  What do you
think?

*Rules*

*Open Issues*
There are several open issues (e.g., Professional sailors, the 140% jib,
others...).  We need to communicate these.  I believe Nils is running the
show here, but we need some clarifications.

*One Design*
We advertise that we are a "One Design" fleet, but there are a few too many
variations to truly be such.  Many are referring to it as Level racing.  Is
that what we want?
"Star of the North Regatta" - I can't remember... where did we get that
name?  Carmella, what can we do to make this very successful?  Are there
things that should be figured out early in the year?  Dan, how are we doing
on our efforts to recruit out-of-town boats?  How can we help?

*Boat Inspections*
Should we have someone responsible for randomly inspecting our boats to make
sure we meet the rules, and to make sure we're safe (e.g., life jackets,
lights, etc.)?

*Fun*
**
 *Social Coordinator*
C-Dock Party, Crawl-adore, etc. - It's early now, but we need someone to own
all of this.

 **
*Logistics/Misc*
**
*Our web site*
What's up with that?  The site has become non-existent, and the latest news
is from 2005.  We need updated fleet list, news, and an online forum to
communicate.  Come on, *listserv* died in the 90's!

*Slip Fees*
Is the Capri 25 being charged fairly?