[Capri25] Ultra Light Air Races

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue May 26 09:10:25 CDT 2009

Hi Capri-25 Sailors,
I understand 8 of you had a fun ultra light air race Sunday.  I
realize now the C-25 light air race option is not in the SIs.  I
think in the past we have just had a policy to do a race for the
C-25s because they wanted it.  We can keep the policy.  I think we
ran 2 of these in the past in 95 degree heat with the dome of high
pressure sitting over the lake.  In both of those races the wind shut
down completely and in one of them, 2 boats started engines and said,
"what differences does it make, it doesn't count for anything".  We
then got away from doing them.  However, Sunday was completely
different.  The light air came and went (pulsed) and the masthead
boats were able to finish.  I, also, think it was a good move for the
PRO to cancel the regular races.  With 70-80 boats out, the wind
shadows would have been very difficult in addition to the lack of
direction and the big holes with no wind.

Suggestions:
    * If you do it, make it a serious race not an engine running joke.
    * Make it a "Cup Race"
    * The Fleet give 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies.  That will
encourage participation, and maybe someone who does not win much
might win a light air trophy.
    * Let the fleet Captain request it of the PRO following the 3 guns.
    * If it's hot and muggy, skip it.  Have a raft up and swim.  If
it's like Sunday, do it.

Regards,
Bert
WYC RC Chair