[Capri25] Value of sailing excursion in Lake Minnetonka

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Jan 26 16:48:40 CST 2010

Last time I chartered a big charter boat on Mtka it was $1,000 per hour, and that was back in the mid 90's.

A half day pontoon rental is typically $80-$100 per hour.  A half day Ensign rental at Shorewood is about $225 for a half day, but no skipper, lunch, or singing Craigge for any of that.

FYI, my per race cost at WYC last year was $125 per race (not per day), and when I race a huge schedule I got that number down to around $80 per race. Seriously crew people, I'm not making this up. Love your skippers!

I saw a lunch cruise on Brigham's J22 go for about $500 ( a small auction) this fall, and I've seen other silent auction bids for WYC cruises for over $300 on many occasions.

I'm 95% certain that a captains license is only required if you are accepting the money as a captain for hire, not if the payment is a donation to a third party.

Charity boat rides are a great way to promote the sport for a good cause, it's a VERY desirable item outside of our little community of sailors.

dj

Dallas Johnson Marketing Services
952-935-3465w    952-931-9108h