[Capri25] light air race

John Speltz johnspeltz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 10:33:36 CDT 2011

I know we have bigger fish to fry with the Nationals just around the corner
. but I wanted to start a discussion and hear ideas regarding Thursday's
race.  Specifically, I wanted to put together a fleet procedure, protocol or
convention relative to light/heavy air races whereby the Capri 25s can:

1.       Quickly organize the race participants.

2.       Garner a minimum number of boats.

3.       Be upfront on expectations with the RC before hand and not
wishy-washy on the prospects for the race.

To start it off - I will jump on a suggestion from Dan, once the race is
cancelled, those interested in racing can switch to channel 72 on our marine
radios and determine if there is enough Capri 25s to race.  My guess at a
quorum would be 25% of the average number of Capri racers, i.e. 7 boats.  If
we can garner 7 boats we race, if not, we go home.  In that way there is no
back and forth and no misunderstandings and controversy.

BTW, I did not know the race needed some sort of fleet captain "approval",
so thanks vice admiral OT for jumping into action.  Next time I will be
on-station and ready to help, but hopefully with some fleet procedure.

Any thoughts .