[Capri25] Capri 25 - Keel flexing?

Dan McNamara mcnamara at visi.com
Fri Jun 3 16:37:35 CDT 2011

The keel flexing and a soft compression post base are something to keep an eye on for all Capri 25's.  Before I repaired those area our keel was moving around enough to cut slots with the keel bolts.  This happened over a number of years and did not seam to effect performance until last year.  At that time the hull had not only delimitated around the around the keel but the compression post as well.  When we pulled on the backstay it would not take out forestay sag.  By the end of the season the compression post deformed the hull around the compression post base.  To see pictures of the project you will need an SA account http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=119553&st=75&gopid=3287522&#entry3287522

As for your boat, the keel is probably moving, ours was for over 10 years and was not a big problem until multiple hard groundings.  If your plywood sub floor is still solid you should be fine.  Keep it dry especially in the fall and winter.  Drill access holes next to the keel to the sub bilges (do this on land incase you go through the hull).  Stop lifting your boat from the keel and put more load on your pads then the keel when on the trailer.  Trailering the boat (correctly with most of the weight on the keel) put more stress on the keel hull joint the sailing.  At some point all Capri's will need the structure supporting the compression post and keel replaced, I would do this after the rules allows better replacement options.  Until then be careful, don't ground and keep your bilge dry and ventilated.  You will start to leak before it becomes a safety issue.  When your backstay no longer takes out forestay sag, your time is up.  It is not safe to sail.