[Capri25] Capri light-air races

Temple Blackwood temple.blackwood at infor.com
Fri Jul 12 14:15:54 CDT 2013

I have been talking to the Race Committee (Jared, Blake and Bert) about some improvements to the Capri light-air races.

As you know, the Capri fleet has an agreement with the Race Committee to run a fun (not scored) race if the regular scheduled race is abandoned because of light wind.
We have been talking about a few changes to the process with the goals of

1)     Getting the light-air race started quickly

2)     Minimizing the time and effort for the Race Committee

Changes we are going to try.

1)     The RC will try to start a light-air race very quickly after abandoning the scheduled race.

2)     The RC will set a very short windward mark for us, after rounding the windward mark the course goes into Wayzata Bay.

3)     The finish line is a pre-set location, rather than a temporary mark set by the RC.

Details:
            To have a light-air race, we should have 5 or more boats that want to do it. It should not require the Fleet Captain to be there, so long as someone will verify there are 5 boats that want it, and inform the RC. Please use channel 72, or another available radio channel if that is in use, to talk to each other to determine there are 5.
The RC will attempt to get our light-air race started before or at the same time as taking participation numbers. They will give us a short start sequence, perhaps only 3 minutes with whistles. So make sure you are near the RC boat if it seems like the race may be abandoned soon.
            The RC may or may not set a windward mark for us, depending on wind direction. If they set one, it will be very close (2/10's of a mile or less). This way all the Capris get around it reasonably quickly and then the RC can pull the mark without a lot of waiting around.
            The start and windward marks may be regular tetrahedron marks or small balls (offsets).
            After rounding the windward mark, the course goes into Wayzata Bay, staying clear of shallow water as for all other races.
            The finish line, will be the last (northern most) pair of shallow water bouys for the sunken island in the middle of the Bay. Do not go between them (it's shallow water). The finish line is an extension (westwards) of the line formed by this pair of bouys. Score yourself, the RC will not be there.

Notes:
            The Finish line extends all the way to the shore, so it is a very long finish line. I think this will make it very interesting as the wind can be quite different across that stretch of water.
            The Sheriff's department may move, or add another pair of shallow water bouys later in the season as the water level goes down in the lake. The Finish line will still be the last pair of bouys.
            If the race gets started quickly as hoped, boats from other fleets are likely to join in. Please be friendly. The Capri fleet has made an effort to organize this, so it is appropriate to ask people to give us some room to have our race. But they also have the right to sail anywhere they want and it's important to maintain cordial relations between the fleets.

I hope we have very few abandoned races. But when we do have one, I hope this framework will make it a fun day on the lake.

-       Temple

Temple Blackwood - Systems Configuration Engineer
office: 651-767-4063 | mobile: 651-894-3683 | home: 651-699-0598
temple.blackwood at infor.com<mailto:temple.blackwood at infor.com>  |  http://www.infor.com