[Capri25] Action Capri

Lew Sacks lewsacks at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 10:47:08 CDT 2013

Over the last five or six years about 20% of the boats in our fleet have lost masts.  Perhaps  a cursory root cause analysis is appropriate so we can at least slow the trend on our aging, lightly built boats.  I'd be willing to wager that spreader failure comes out pretty often as a cause, at least that's what it was when we lost ours on Magic.  Now, every year when we haul we completely strip the mast of all lines and shrouds and check all wires for meathooks and spreader attachments for wear.

Anyone else who lost a mast care to comment on the cause and what you're now doing about it?

Lew Sacks