[Capri25] Proposed changes to the WYC SIs for 2015

Brad Anderson aqualines at q.com
Sat Mar 21 09:46:43 CDT 2015

Attached is a draft of revised WYC SIs for 2015 for your review and feedback .
Send comments to Brad Anderson

aqualines at q.com

Changes to last years SIs are tracked. A few highlights:

1. Sailors wanted rules re: Rumble in one place so I consolidated them into Addendum A. A few highlights:

a. Appendix S - Whistle Starting System with 3 minutes sequence - will continue.

b. VHF channel 69 will be used. Sailors said loud hailer was insufficient and asked radios be used to inform competitors. So, for the Rumbles, we're going to choose a separate VHF channel in advance.

c. Marks will be any color and any shape. No offset. No gate. This makes setting and changing course simple and quick.

d. Unless fleet chooses otherwise, up to 7 races will be sailed. No ending time limit, except sunset (as specified in normal WYC SI rules).

e. Appendix T1 (i.e., One-Turn Penalty, unless incident occurs in zone - then Two-Turn Penalty) will apply. Many one-design sailors have requested WYC change its regular SIs to this One-Turn Penalty. Rumbles are a great opportunity to experiment and test rule variations to see what may improve WYC sailors racing experience so I recommend we try it here for 2015. In my opinion, making leap for all fleets requires more information, discussion and education/promotion.

f. Any of these rules of the Rumble can be changed (e.g., more races, different courses, earlier start time, etc.) SO LONG AS fleet posts changes in advance on WYC Notice Board .

PLEASE NOTE: There has been NO change to how the Rumble attendance points or BOTY points are awarded.

2. New starting mark will be Lime Green , unless otherwise announced on-the-water by RC. Last year we had 4 protests/requests for redress in champ races and regatta events because competitors confused the orange starting mark as a orange course marks. S2 #517 Tuesday 's appeal is still pending ILYA Appeals Committee. The advantages of a different colored mark ultimately provides RC flexibility to leave the buoy in the water:

a. should wind increase substantially on a short course causing compression of already-started fleets with fleets still getting off the starting line;

b. should RC have a mechanical problem with a powerboat;

c. to properly prioritize change of course of other marks;

d. to monitor the wind/weather;

e. to provide assistance; and

f. to set up for additional races in a day.

Blake and Jarod tell me this should all be moot as PROs are committed to picking up starting mark asap. Still, Bert and I agree we should make this change as it is a simple, easy and relatively inexpensive change (estimated $400), giving RC more flexibility and showing our members we're listening and committed to providing them the best racing experience possible. Members roared with approval at the 2014 banquet when we announced we're looking into an alternate color of buoy to be used as the starting mark.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin Kenny

Chief Judge - WYC Protest Committee