[Capri25] Insurance on Capri 25

Smith, Craig A (AME MN14) Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Thu Jul 13 08:53:43 CDT 2017

Shiloh,

From paragraph 23 of the SI's:

INSURANCE. Each participating boat will be insured with valid third-party liability insurance as required by  WYC. Each boat will present proof of insurance upon request.

When last compared, US Boat rates were higher than Progressive, at least for a J22.  We pay $83 annually for $500,000 liability.  I imagine a home-owner’s umbrella would kick-in after that.  If you become a certified keelboat instructor, US Sailing adds another $1,000,000 coverage.

Make sure sailboat racing is covered.  Progressive excludes “activities on a racecourse,” but then turns around and excludes the exclusion for sailboats providing the race was “pre-arranged or organized.”

From the enclosed contract:

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS PART I.

Coverage under this Part I, including our duty to defend, will not apply to any insured person for:

1. bodily injury or property damage arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of any watercraft or trailer while being used:

a. to carry persons or property for compensation or a fee;

b. in any illegal transportation or trade; or

c. in any business or occupation.

Subparts a. and c. of this exclusion do not apply to use of a watercraft or trailer for tournament fishing;

2. any liability assumed under any contract or agreement by you or a relative;

3. bodily injury to an employee of that insured person arising out of or within the course of employment. This exclusion does not apply to domestic employees if benefits are neither paid nor required to be provided under workers’ compensation, disability benefits, or similar laws;

4. bodily injury or property damage resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for:

a. any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed, or demolition contest or activity; or

b. any driving, riding, navigation, piloting, or boating activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racecourse.

This exclusion does not apply to bodily injury or property damage resulting from the use of a sailboat in any pre-arranged or organized racing or speed contest, or in practice or preparation for any such contest;

5. bodily injury or property damage due to a nuclear …