[Capri25] 2020 season update

Hermann Klaas hermannklaas at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:17:52 CDT 2020

Attn all Capri 25 sailors:

You've all undoubtedly been receiving periodic updates from Andy Spence-Parsons (if not, find it here:  https://www.wyc.org/covid19 ), but I just want to share some additional information that came out of last night's meeting with fleet captains and some of the club's top brass, moderated by Terry Foster. As you can imagine, most of the discussion revolved around the virus impacts, but not all.

Following are the important discussion points:
- We are a yacht club (a fairly new formal status), not a marina. As such, we remain closed despite the governor's loosing of certain outdoor activities.
- The Board is working on a plan to open the docks; however, that requires approval from the city and other authorities. Watch for an official update from Andy.
- The crane is being serviced and commissioned this weekend; however, we don't yet know when it will be available for use. Again, watch for an official update from Andy.
- As long as 'social distancing' rules are in effect, there will be no racing for the following obvious reasons: 1) your crew likely consists of members from more than one household, 2) it would be impossible to maintain a 6 ft distance between boats (docks, starts, marks, etc.), 3) the simple act of splashing and rigging a boat often requires the effort of more than one household (household does not mean family members, but those living under the same roof).
- The club is becoming more sympathetic to partnerships, and there will be an increased effort to document those partnerships on our website. Ernie is leading that effort.
- It is every boat owner's responsibility to ensure that their "regular" crew, or anyone who has crewed 5 races, is a registered members. If you have not paid your dues, please do so ASAP so that you are included in the official log.
- All Thursday races will be on 2 courses (L & R). Therefore, start orders will be different, and there will be 2 separate radio channels. Please refer to the SI, and make sure you have at least one working/charged VHF radio.
- All Sunday races will be run WITHOUT the I (India) flag in effect. In other words, "dip starts" are allowed.

That's all I have for now. Like I mentioned, stay tuned for an official update from Andy this week. In the meantime, if you have any questions you are more than welcome to contact myself, Andy Spence-Parsons or Thorn Turner.

-Hermann Klaas