[Capri25] Intro to new communication tool

Hermann Klaas hermannklaas at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 12:10:44 CDT 2021

Capri 25 fleet:
I'd like pass along Aaron's information re: an optional, new, (currently) free tool for communicating amongst our fleet. For those that attended Friday's fleet meeting, you already got a short introduction on this. Please read on below.
-Hermann

We are testing a new communication method: Slack

  1.  This will not disrupt current communication methods.  Meaning, if you do not use slack, you will still get all expected communications in the normal ways you are used to.
  2.  Participation is voluntary.
  3.  Participation is at-your-own-risk.  Meaning, if you are concerned about hackers or data privacy. (this may not be for you)
  4.  Slack will give many benefits to communication: EXAMPLES
     *   Does anyone know best place to get bottom paint?
     *   Best epoxy for leaks under stanchions?
     *   I have a friend in town that wants to crew Thursday. Beginner
     *   We will be doing a race debrief in the parking lot through May to promote social distancing.
     *   Does anyone have an older 120 they want to sell?
     *   SOTN channel to find and chat with volunteers – as you can customize your channels (what you see, get alerts on or off, etc.)
     *   Someone left a spinnaker near the dock entrance. (I put it in the club house)  I really did that by the way!!

If interested, you simply need to:

  1.  Send Aaron the email address you want the invite to come to. Also, anyone can invite anyone else.
  2.  Download the Slack app for your: smartphone, tablet or laptop.
  3.  ​Create an account (make sure the password is complicated and unique - Ilovesailing123 is a bad password : )
  4.  Sign in via the link that will be emailed to you

User guide can be found here: https://slack.com/help/categories/200111606. We will have a training as some point after we have a good head count on new users
Feel free to contact Aaron Boudreau with any questions or requests. Aaron.boudreau at outlook.com   or   (612) 803-0368