[Ensign] Ensign 1525

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 15:16:44 CDT 2014

Ensign 1525, Serendipity, has been donated to the Wayzata Community Sailing
Center.  As you probably know, the boat belonged to Mike Maloney who raced
it extensively.  It then was owned and raced by Ray and Barb Hoveland.  More
recently it was owned by Rachel Morgan who cruised it and has donated to
WCSC.

We are offering it for sale as we have more keelboats than we can use right
now and it does not fit into any of our programs. It is still in very good
condition.

Who do you know who wants to be a boat owner in your wonderful Ensign fleet?
Surely, one or two of your crew members have expressed an interest in being
the 'Captain of his/her Own Fate on the Race Course'.  Now is his/her
chance.

Several WYC fleets have had success in attracting new members (Capris,
Sonars) by having a boat at the ready in case someone voices an interest in
buying one.  That way when someone says "Boy, I'd like to have an Ensign!"
you don't say "We'll see whether we can find you one".  Instead, you say
"Would you like us to bring it over today or tomorrow?".   The financial
burden was dealt with by a group of fleet members each putting up a portion
of the cost.  Their investment was returned upon sale of the boat.  Usually,
it was reinvested to bring in another boat for further fleet building.

There is a trailer.  Sails are in good condition but will need some
replacement over time.  It is well rigged and many of you probably remember
it as a noble competitor.  Some of the wood needs attention.  There are a
few mechanical issues to be dealt with.

WCSC is offering the boat for $3000.  If you split that among the current
Ensign fleet members it is less than $400 each.

Partnerships help ease the financial burden.  I will be glad to share
information about how the Sesame Street partnership has worked for 25 years.

I have photos.  Call me at 612 327 6639.

Ernest Brody

Director

Wayzata Community Sailing Center