[Ensign] [J70] Sailboat Motor

bill at hoopersyachts.com bill at hoopersyachts.com
Tue Sep 21 11:54:50 CDT 2021

Just reading your outboard thread and I thought I'd chime in.

Not sure if you are tired of gas engines and that is why you are thinking electric.....but there is another alternative....LPG by Tohatsu.

West Marine used to sell a noisy LPG outboard which was a totally inferior product.

The Tohatsu LPG is a 4-stroke 5 HP outboard available in 15", 20" or 25" shafts and the two longer shafts are sail pro engines designed for sailboats that also have a high thrust prop and a charging system.

Instead of a carburetor for gas, the fuel delivery is designed for propane, but it is otherwise pretty much the same outboard with some advantages:

There's no gas to deal with (or remote tanks) and virtually maintenance free fuel system (no hard-starting dirty carbs to deal with, etc.)
You can lay the outboard down in 3 different positions without worrying about oil spillage.
There's no sacrifice to performance (and they are quiet).
You can run for 5 hours on an 11 lb LPG tank (hose included) and a fuel safety shut off valve.
Safety fuel shut off valve (keeps LPG fuel from continuously running when engine is not in use
Start in gear protection and over-rev limiter.
Very low emissions.
Through the prop hub exhaust
5 year limited warranty

Weight is 59.5 lbs.

MSRP is around $2,000.

If interested, please give us a shout or respond to this email.

Happy racing.

Bill Hooper
President, Hooper's Yachts
599 Manning Avenue South