[J22-Fleet 1]Sunset Series and Championship Series Scores

Lovald, Peter Peter.Lovald at mts.com
Fri Aug 26 18:51:56 CDT 2005

Dear Fellow J22 Sailors,

The Sunset Series has come to an end and a bit of controversy has
erupted.  As those of us who went to the winter meeting (to attend to
fleet business and not to play poker - No pun intended) might remember,
we decided to exclude race A3 from the Championship Series and race G1
from the Sunset Series.  The intention was to make it attractive for
more teams to travel to Oklahoma City for the 2005 NA's.  It seemed to
have worked, we saw 9 teams go from our lake plus Susan from Duluth.
One of the better showings we have had at any off-lake regatta not to
mention the publicity we created for our own NA's next year!

So far, so good!  Now to the controversy part.  It was, on the way from
the race course last night, brought to my attention that everybody is
not entirely pleased with the situation!  Several factors may have
contributed to this:

*The vote over the matter was only a count of hands at the winter
meeting.
*No minutes were distributed after the meeting.  Hence, no notification
to the members not in attendance.
*A3 and G1 were shown as part of the Champ Series and the Sunset Series
respectively on the WYC, J22 website (Dallas has fixed that as of today,
not to hide the fact but to show what the status of the 2 series are as
of now).
*The way the issue was handled by the fleet (yours truly to be exact)
versus the club might not be in accordance with the rules.

There are probably more but I can only take so much self-criticism at
the time.  I can also leap into a multi page explanation/rant about not
having time to be the Fleet Captain/Secretary/Regatta Planner/Party
Planner all by myself but I did enough of that last night.  I will
instead throw myself to the mercy of the fleet!  I have posted the
scores for the Sunset Series sans G1 on the WYC J22 website
(http://www.wyc.org/j22/results/05-wyc-sunset.htm).  I have also posted
part of the agenda from the winter meeting for your reading pleasure
(http://www.wyc.org/j22/default.htm).  It is now up to you as
competitors and fleet members to protest if you feel any rules have been
violated or seek redress if you feel you have been unduly disadvantaged!
I will, as your fleet captain deal with the outcome of that and do
whatever is necessary, and in my power, to make as many of you as I can
HAPPY!  Further, I would also like to apologize to the fleet for my
actions or lack thereof in this matter!

Now, I would like to spend a couple of lines on the positive side of
this season and perhaps this whole issue.  We have, as mentioned above,
had one of the biggest contingents yet going to a major regatta.  Not a
bad feat taken into account that it involved 12 - 14 hours of driving,
both ways.  Even better, we have seen 30 different boats compete in the
Sunset Series this year.  I do believe that is more J22's that we have
ever seen racing on the lake.  We are also seeing a consistent influx of
new boats every year!  Let's not let an issue like this put a damper on
what we got here.  Let's use this as a springboard to make our fleet
better.  We have always been pretty informal in how business has been
conducted.  This seems to be a prime opportunity to change that, to make
better guidelines for fleet conduct.  However, somebody has to do it!
My time is up, I am retiring as Fleet Captain at the end of this season.
I am still going to help out wherever I can but somebody else will have
to take over the "tiller".  I urge anybody who would like to help the
fleet progress to step forward or to nominate somebody you think would
be a good fit.  All and all it is a very rewarding job, if you don't
stay in it too long that is!

Last but not least - Let's see if we can get all 30 boats out for the
Districts.  Now formally known as the Evergreene Cup.  Yes, Liz Greene
is back as sponsor, not only with a beautiful traveling trophy but with
other goodies as well.  Thank you Nick for making that happen!  George
Hansens friend, George from Helly Hansen at Ridgedale is also rumored to
be contributing to the well of prizes.  New this year is that we are not
only rewarding the first 3 boats, mid fleet winners might also be
rewarded.  Show up on September 17th and 18th and find out!

Thank you all for a great season so far (it ain't over yet),

Jappa

PS: Nick Anderson and Billy Allen are the Sunset Series Champs 2005 no
matter how the series is scored!  Congratulations on a well sailed
series Nick and Billy.  Oh yeah, John Klick helped too.