[J22-Fleet 1] 2006 North Americans - Meeting Update

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 20:38:20 CDT 2005

Hello Fleet #1,

Thanks to everyone who participated in the North Americans planning session last week.  We made a lot of progress and identified some key new people to help plan for the event.

Here are the highlights:

First and foremost on the list is sponsorship.  We have a preliminary marketing plan developed that Jon Noller has been circulating.  Please contact him if you have any good leads for a Title, Gold or Silver level sponsor.  FYI, we have already signed up North, Quantum, VC Performance, Helly Hansen, Evergreene Jewelers, Absolut Vodka and Diamond Reef among others.

We also reviewd the social plan and budget that Nick put together.  As the Evergreene Cup will show, our social planning is in very good hands and it promises to be a GREAT week!  Nick has put in a lot of time so far and could use additional help if you are interested in helping plan this.

Steve Paidosh agreed to handle media relations, with Joni assisting.  She will also be working on updating the logo and the opening ceremonies.

Judy Woellner will be in charge of housing for the event.  One of our selling points is offering this to all out of town crews that request it to help offset the costs of travel.  Please let Judy know if you're able to house a team, what kind of accomodations you can offer, etc.

The Women's team will be in charge of coordinating with the city of Wayzata for publicity, possibly getting regatta parking along County Road 16, etc.

Mark Christensen will be the MYC liaison and reports that they are very enthusiastic.  This should give us the use of Lighthouse Island during the day if needed and also for a possible evening event as well as their fleet of race support boats.  (Mark - let us know the dates of the J-22 grill 'n' chill next year so we can make it a point to be there).

Additional areas where we need help:

- Mooring

- Spectator boats

- Breakfasts and lunches; again daily sponsors could be used here, i.e. Caribou, Subway, etc.

Future all fleet meetings - please plan on attending on October 25th, November 22nd, and December 13th.  Any questions in the meantime, please let me know.  Thanks again to all for all your help so far.

Thorn