[J22-Fleet 1] North Americans Update

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 17:33:11 CDT 2006

WOW!  The 2006 Wealth Enhancement Group J22 North American Championship is only two weeks away.  Time has gone by at light speed, but many plans have gone from theory to reality.  It’s going to be an epic event.  To date, there 65 pre-registered competitors!  If you’re on the fence about coming to this event, time to hop off, go find your trailer and figure out the fastest way the Lake Minnetonka!

  Here are some additional reminders and updates:

  ***Safety equipment***

  Please note that Minnesota state law requires a US Coast Guard approved type IV throwable device in all boats over 16 feet.  Per sections 6.4 and 6.10 of the class rules, this means a throwable device will be required safety equipment and WILL be part of the safety inspection.  Fenders or an extra PFD do NOT count.  For your convenience, West Marine will have a limited number on hand for purchase.  Save yourself the trouble and toss one in the boat along with all the other junk.

  Apparel:
  Helly Hansen is our official regatta apparel sponsor and they have some seriously cool gear!  They will be on site at Wayzata Yacht Club to help you stay dry and warm.  “Team wear” is no stranger to sailing.  AC teams, Farr 40s and Melges 24 teams are decked out in their matching gear.  Helly Hansen will assist you in outfitting your team and you’ll look totally PRO!  To have gear ready in time for the event, you’ll need to place your order by September 1st.  Visit www.hellyhansenusa.com to scope out the gear and place an order.

  Sunday Racing:
  To get a flavor of the NA’s sailing area and to soak in some local knowledge, please join us for a 2:00pm club race on Sunday September 9th.  Please factor in a 30 minute sail out to the course.

  Social:
  Judging by what the social committee has planned, you might want to pack an extra liver for the morning after.  Pig roasts, bands, a meal on china and the E Scow Rum Bar
. WHOA!  If the wind is half as good as the parties, this WILL be an epic event!  Your registration fee will cover a team of three for all social events.  If you are sailing with a team of four, or bringing spouses / guests, please reply to this email and let us know.  There is a $50 social fee for each extra person that covers all evening events.  Trust me
its well worth it!

  Housing:
  Currently, 17 teams have signed up for housing and are taken care of.  Yeah, that’s FREE digs!  If you want/need housing, contact judywoellner at hotmail.com asap.

  Your Arrival:
  On Monday & Tuesday, try and avoid rolling into town between the hours of 7:30-9am and 4pm-5:30.  For a mid-sized town, we can have hideous traffic.  When you do arrive at Wayzata Yacht Club, our eager and friendly “staff” that will direct you through parking, registration, splashing your boat and mooring.  Please leave the zebra mussels in your own lake.  If you’re planning on showing up a week early (like Lars Hansen’s team), please reply to this email and let us know so we can assist with your arrival.  Maps are provided on the NA’s website.

  Chandlery:
  Don’t forget VC Performance Rigging’s fully staffed and stocked trailer WILL NOT be on-site at the regatta due to a prior regatta commitment. David Van Cleef will be on-site beginning September 9th, providing any pre-race support required along with emergency repairs through out the event. Order early by visiting their web site VC Performance Rigging or calling 410-295-7515 to let them handle all your pre-race rigging. Place your orders no later than September 5th to ensure you receive it in time.  West Marine and Hooper’s Yachts are nearby as well.

  That’s it in a nutshell!  If you have any questions, please reply to this email with them and we’ll do our best to come up with a solid answer.  We are all stoked to have you all come enjoy our lake, fall colors and hospitality.  Please drive safe and remember
. IT’s NOT THAT FAR!

  Your Organizing Committee