[J22-Fleet 1] Starting Practice :: June 25 @ 11:00 AM

John Dyer dyer.john at slpschools.org
Wed Jun 14 11:24:13 CDT 2006

Quite a few people expressed interest in practicing starts so here's the
scoop:

Date: Sunday, June 25

Time: 11 A.M to 12 Noon

Stuff: I'll set up a starting line in the bay as close to the club as
possible. We'll run rolling starts using 3 minute intervals. I will use a
whistle and do collegiate countdowns so you can spend time with your head
out of the boat and not on your watch. Expect the Terry Foster "loud and
proud" hail letting you know how close you are to the line.

Fine print: After people get the knack of starting, expect the line to be
skewed port or starboard, or shortened to make things a bit more
regatta-like.

Deep Thoughts: This is practice and therefore if you see someone struggling,
please offer them advice on how to improve, or offer to get on their boat
and help them.

Waiver: Please know the rules for starting. Please don't hit anyone.

Next: If the interest is there, we'll do more practicing in July and/or
August.

Comments?? Otherwise, see you there.

John Dyer
#963 (and anything else that floats)

PS Here's a link to some good starting advice from Greg Fisher:
<http://www.usaj22.com/starting_tips_fisher.html>