[J22-Fleet 1] **Notice of Vote - Ballot Attached - April29/2007 - 12pm (noon) Voting Deadline**

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 02:28:23 UTC 2007

A couple additional thoughts on all the points below:

There has never been an "official" policy on average points and this has led to fear and loathing in the past.  I think whatever we (or boat owners to be more specific) decide as a Fleet is fine but let's put it in writing and agree in advance of the season.  Pat's comments on the marathon nature of the Champ. series are valid hence the rationale to award average points to encourage off-lake participation.  My hunch is some people already look at the combined Champ or Districts as the pseudo "champ" series which is fine.  Every Fleet out there has this issue with Inland, District, Regional, National, North American, World, etc. championships routinely on the schedule.

I submitted the point on the Fleet Captain being able to designate a race as a non-Champ.  I think it's the best solution for at least one weekend of the NA's or Worlds.  We're lucky to have an incredibly strong local Fleet but the overall health means we need to get off the lake and compete, and potentially forfeiting a Champ. series position should not be an obstacle.

The 2005 and 2006 NA's are good examples; in '05 there was the dilemma of whether to drive all night back from the event to make the Sunday Champ. race, as well as the potential to have to sail the lay day, Sunday, and there actually was discussion as to whether you would bail on the last day of the NA's or miss a Champ. race.  Last fall I think there were four boats on the line for the final race following the NA's.  In my opinion the best decision here would be to designate the race as non-Champ.  However, the Fleet Captain puts in a lot of volunteer time and I think we need to trust him or her to act in the best interest of the Fleet when the season schedule is determined (usually in January) to see these issues and act.  Mid summer is not the time to make these calls.

All of this said though, I'm still in favor of giving average points for attending Cleveland Race Week, Levels, East Coast Champs, etc.  It makes us all look good.

All of this discussion is good. The lack of written policies has led to issues in the past so whatever is voted on is fine.  There should be very few average points issues this year with the NA's in Sept. and Worlds in Dec. so look at this as a trial run.

My $00.02...

Thorn