[J22-Fleet 1] 2007 New Race Proceedures

Michael Bowers msbowers_55431 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 11:10:25 CDT 2007

Dear Fleet 1,

Since I will not be at the meeting due to a previously planned trip,
I'd like to throw out the following topic:

Barber haulers on reach legs.

I read in the class rules (see below) that you are not allowed to rig
up barber haulers; does that preclude creative rigging?  Twing blocks
pulling double duty?  How about reaching hooks or running the jib lead
under the toe rail for reach legs?

My feeling is that any mechanical device used to alter the sail shape
except for the jib car and track position should be disallowed.
However, what about having a crew member taking the jib sheet directly
from the clue?  I think it should be allowed, however it could be
argued that its now just a person taking the place of the barber
hauler.

"Jib Barber Hauler - Permitted?
Source: February 2001 International Technical Committee
Not Permitted "

Also, my $.02 on the comments below:

Experience gleened on the Charles River with 100's of novice sailors
sharing the same small body of water, you're best bet is ALWAYS to tell
the inexperienced boat to "keep sailing straight--I'll get out of your
way."  I've strayed from my own advice (even a couple of times last
year) and it has never turned out good.  However, in the spirit of
being a learning club, it would be good to sit down in a relaxed manner
with an offending boat and get their impression of the situation and
understand why they thought they had the right of way (keep in mind
that they might have seen something different than you--you may have
been wrong too), and together figure out how the rules apply in that
situation.

If Bert or Terry are on this distribution and will be running the rules
clinic, I'd also like to point out one situation I ran into last year
that probably isn't covered in the clinic.  A yacht that is not racing,
or has crossed the finish line, shall keep clear of a yacht that is
racing.  I nearly got T boned at the finish line last year because a
boat insisted on proving that they were starboard, even 20 seconds
after their number had been called.  When I approached the skipper on
shore, he admitted to having no idea that the rules said he should keep
clear after finishing.  His point was that he was tired of being pushed
around on the race course and in this situation he KNEW he was right
because he was Starboard and I was Port.

Thanks,
Mike