[J22-Fleet 1] 2007 Dave Cool Icebreaker - Regatta Roundup

George george at pcspeed.com
Tue May 1 18:13:54 UTC 2007

J22 Fleet # 1 kicked off the 2007 season with a bang at our annual Dave Cool
Icebreaker Regatta.  23 boats turned out for this annual rite of spring
equaling our best turnout ever.  We were blessed with great spring weather
and some very good early season racing conditions.  We also had a nice cross
section of sponsors and we really appreciate them supporting our fleet and
the 2007 Dave Cool Icebreaker. Thank you !

PROUD SPONSORS:

http://www.hellyhansenusa.com
http:// <http://www.iniki.com http://www.absolut.com> www.iniki.com
http:// <http://www.absolut.com> www.absolut.com
http://www.companycasuals.com/GeeTeez/start.jsp
http://www.kattack.com

>From the big turnout on Friday night all the way through to Sunday
afternoon, it felt as if we were picking up right where we left off.  It was
good to see old friends again - and their kids (everywhere :).  It was easy
to see that the momentum from the 2006 Wealth Enhancement Group J22 NA's
carried forward into this year.

Saturday arrived with temperatures in the upper 70's and breeze around 6 -
12 mph.  After the skippers meeting we went into an onshore postponement
allowing everyone just a bit more time to make final preparations.  The
postponement was short lived and after 30 minutes we were eagerly sailing
out to the course.  After a long winter, I think everyone was glad to see
our fleet on the water once again.

Fleet 1 enjoyed (2) competitive races on Saturday.  Lake Minnetonka lived up
to its reputation with shifty conditions and dramatic changes in velocity.
The conditions were challenging - even for the best teams in our fleet.  We
got our first race in shortly after going out.  Sailing in clean breeze and
on the staying on the favored tack were important keys to good finishes. 963
bested the fleet in the first race, with 820 and 1311 rounding out the top
3.

Then we went into a lengthy postponement while we waited for the forecasted
conditions of 10-15 to materialize.  Finally the breeze did build and we got
our 2nd race in to finish the day.  865 found their way to the front of the
fleet and never looked back.  820 took another 2nd by holding of a hard
charging 513 and 1311 on the last leg.

820 and 865 were the top 2 boats of the day with 963 and 1311 tied for
third.  Only (4) boats had less than 10 points after 2 races, demonstrating
how the tough conditions challenged racers to produce consistent finishes.

RACE 1

Place

Sail #

Name

1

963

USA 963

2

820

Aquavit

3

1311

Norwegian Woody

4

651

Shadowfax

5

865

Old Skool

RACE 2

Place

Sail #

Name

1

865

Old Skool

2

820

Aquavit

3

513

Let's Boogie

4

1311

Norwegian Woody

5

1543

Oranje

Standings after Saturday Races

1

820

Aquavit

2

865

Old Skool

3

963

USA 963

1311

Norwegian Woody

5

1048

Speed Buggy

Following racing we all congregated at the club for Kattack replay and
another Racers Roundup.  Matt Johnson, John Dyer, and Jon Noller were all
asked to stand up and field questions from the Fleet.  As experienced J22
crew go, this was a very talented group.  Several questions about sailing in
the breeze were discussed, but J22 rig tune seemed to dominate the
conversation.  Many within the fleet felt proper boat setup was the key to
speed and point in Saturday's races.

Absolute Vodka sponsored a great post race party - and with plenty of food
and beverages.  Everyone seemed to really enjoy warm spring evening with
many spouses and guests joining in the festivities.

Sunday morning proved to be even warmer and the forecast looked promising.
But once we hit the main lake the breeze had come down to about 2 to 8 mph
and 2 races seemed like a stretch. We went straight into sequence with the
warm air temperature and the cold water temps making conditions very
challenging.  The old saying, "Never give up" came into play again this
year..with the final race testing the stamina of the most patient of
sailors.  865 and 513 were the race winners - with 1071, 963 and 486 all
posting strong performances.  These were very tough conditions and the fleet
often becoming widely spread apart.

I overheard two comments that seemed to sum up the day, "The J22 is a great
beginner boat - but this is not a great beginner fleet !" and "Our best ride
of the day was the tow back to the dock !"  That summed up the day for
some...while others seemed to thrive in the light air.

After racing we gathered for the awards presentation.  Steve and Marilyn
Cool graciously awarded new J22 1313 owner Doug Mann the spirit of Dave Cool
award. Through this event, Dave's spirit lives on in our fleet and for that
we should all be grateful.  We miss you Dave Cool.

Congratulations to all of the race winners and the top 3 boats for sailing
well all weekend.  And congratulations to our winner:

2007 Dave Cool Icebreaker Champion

865 - Old Skool

Lars Hansen, Jon Noller, and Rod Komis

Thank you to all of the sailors, our sponsors, and Steve and Marilyn Cool,
for making this another great Cool Icebreaker.

See you on the water !

George Hansen

J22 Fleet # 1 Captain

RACE 3

Place

Sail #

Name

1

865

Old Skool

2

963

USA 963

3

1071

Irish Temper

4

506

H. K. Phooey

5

486

en fuego

RACE 4

Place

Sail #

Name

1

513

Let's Boogie

2

865

Old Skool

3

931

De Stijl

4

1071

Irish Temper

5

486

en fuego

WYC Series Results ( Dave Cool Icebreaker )

J/22

Number of boats in Series = 23  Number of Drops = 0

Sail #

Name

Race 1

Race 2