[J22-Fleet 1] Fleet # 1 News

George Hansen george at pcspeed.com
Mon Aug 11 14:11:02 UTC 2008

cid:image002.jpg at 01C8A341.24AABC70

J22 Combined Championship WYC/MYC Champion

In what turned out to be a runaway victory, Dave Brasch, Mike Bowers, and
John Dyer aboard J22 # 963 are the 2008 J22 Fleet # 1 combined champions.
Congratulation to their team on a well sailed series and a deserving
victory.  And thank you to Wayzata Yacht Club, Minnetonka Yacht Club, and
all the J22 sailors that participated in this series.

Fleet # 1 Combined Champ  Results

1.       963 Who's Driving

2.       1543 Oranje

3.       1311 Norwegian Woody

Thursday Nights

Can you believe that we have (28) J22s  out on Thursday nights ?  Amazing.
If you want some competitive racing with a great social scene  - get out on
a Thursday night and see what you have been missing.  Congratulations to J22
1048 - Speed Buggy and Terry Foster for winning the G series.  And the T
series looks even closer - with the top 5 boats all in contention.  Good
luck to all the Thursday racers.

T Series Results

1.       1048 Speed Buggy

2.       486 en fuego

3.       1543 Oranje

WYC Fleet # 1 Championship

Only a few more weekends to go - and it appears to be a very close series.
It is good to see some new faces at the top of the heap and good luck to
everyone in the final races of this series.

J22 Worlds <http://myyc.org/j22worlds>

2008 J22 Worlds - 103 boats - Rochester Yacht Club August 17-24th.  This
looks to be a monumental event with over 100 entrants from around the world,
with Fleet # 1 sending 5 boats.  For those boats that are traveling, you are
eligible for average points while you are away. Please email me requesting
average points prior to your departure and I will accommodate your requests.
One behalf of our entire fleet - we wish all competitors safe travels good
luck racing.

Match Race Mondays

Match racing is alive and well at WYC.  Every other Monday is the time -
just bring your team and you are in.  Thank you to Lars Hansen for rallying
the troops and making WYC one of the few yacht clubs in the country to have
an active match racing program.  This is one of the best opportunities to
make yourself a better sailor - hands down.  So get out there.you will be
glad you did.  Contact Lars <mailto:Lars at thestudio-mpls.com>  or myself with
questions.

Richardson <http://www.lmsrf.org/yrugl/R_trophy.htm>  Cup Update

Invitations for this event are out.  October 10th, 11th, 12th, are the
dates. PRO and Umpires have been secured.  Fundraising and logistics are
underway.  LSYA/WYC sail-off to be announced.  We have committed as a fleet
to support this event and we will need full participation as the event
approaches.  Please follow through on your commitments to donate your boats,
and we will likely be coming to the fleet with additional requests to make
this event a success.  Thank you in advance to Fleet # 1 and our members for
your participation and support.   P.S. - 30% discount from North Sails
through Richardson Cup (details to come)

J22 Districts <http://wyc.org/j22/DistrictsRegatta/tabid/276/Default.aspx>

Sept 13th and 14th are the dates for 2008 J22 District Championship.  Start
making plans to attend.  In addition to being one of the best regattas in
the Midwest, it will be my last as J22 Fleet # 1 captain.  This is official
notice that we will be holding Fleet # 1 election for new fleet captain at
Districts.  Please forward your nominations for the next Fleet Captain and I
will pass along more information as the event approaches.  It has been a
true honor to serve as J22 Fleet # 1 captain and I want to thank everyone
for making our fleet one of the best in the country.

J24 <http://www.j24northamericans.com/index.html>  NA's

Sept 8-12.  This is another big event for WYC and our friends in the J24
fleet.  There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer, so please reach out
to our J24 friends and help support their big event.

Fleet # 1 Dues

Fleet Dues are critical to the health of our fleet and make possible so many
of the social activities we host.   If you have not paid your fleet # 1 dues
- please make a point to do so.  2008 J22 Districts will be your last chance
to get your dues in.  It is never too late - and thank you for your
participation.    (PS - if you have recently sent me your fleet # 1 dues,
send me an email as I need to talk to you)

$75 - J22 Fleet # 1 Dues

George Hansen

375 Brockton Lane

Plymouth, MN 55447

Friendly WYC Reminders:

No parking on Wayzata neighborhood streets

Please pick up your trash after racing - especially those J22's in front of
the west lot

Encourage your regular crew to become WYC members - it's never too late to
sign up !

See you on the water -

George

burgees