[J22-Fleet 1] Match Racing

Lars Hansen Lars at thestudio-mpls.com
Mon Jun 2 19:25:08 UTC 2008

Hello out there to all you match racers and wannabes.
I want to get some match racing Monday nights going.
1) There are some Sonar and Capri sailors that have expressed interest,
does anybody know if those fleets have a similar list server to this
that we can use to broadcast information?  We could start a separate
list server or I could start a "Minnetonka Match Racer" group on Face
book if people are interested. Give me some feedback so I can organize
accordingly.
2) I would be willing to spend a couple of hours next Monday night to
lead a seminar on match racing as a lead in to actual racing. There are
several little parts to match racing different from fleet racing to be
aware of and 4 min to the start is not the best time to start thinking
about it for the first time.
3) Then perhaps in 2 weeks start actual match racing on Monday Nights,
I'll need some help with getting boats and think that in preparation for
the Richardson everyone should practice in J22's but for the first
couple of Mondays we could see pairs of mixed boats. (2 Sonars, 2
Capris, 2  J 22, 2  J24s and so on). This way the first time you match
race you can do it in a boat you know. This is just a thought and it
only works if there are two teams from each fleet to play. Again I need
some feedback to get an idea of who wants to play.

Jon, Rod and I were in Chicago this weekend match racing and had a great
time, we learned some good stuff that I want to share.
I want to help get our local teams up to speed, the better the local
competition the better our chances are of winning the Richardson cup.
Lake Minnetonka match racers are behind in the development of their
match racing skills compared to other areas in the country. We know the
lake and we know our boats but we are behind in our Match Racing skills.
Lets ramp it up and see what we can do.
Lars