[J22-Fleet 1] Crew Overboard (COB) Seminar this Sat June 19 afterthe race

Smith, Craig A Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Thu Jun 17 13:38:11 CDT 2010

Good questions Sara.

There's no cost whatsoever.

You just show-up.  Beth is  arranging lunch, so she would appreciate
rough numbers.  We'll have a sign-up sheet at the club tonight.  Thanks
for indicating your interest.

I have a 30 min presentation planned while folks eat their lunch and
digest. We can answer questions and entertain a group discussion before
we head out for an hour or so on the water.  Assuming there's multiple
boats, it's up to each crew to decide how long they want to practice.
We'll stay on Wayzata bay, so if you need to be somewhere, you can get
dropped at the dock.

Since everyone may not get back at the same time, I will collect
reactions, thoughts, and lessons-learned.

Ideally, everyone would get a chance to steer a variety of boats using
each of the 4 maneuvers under a wide range of conditions.
Realistically, there will not be enough time and we'll have to use
whatever winds are available.  This is just a first step to get people
thinking about how they would react.  Everyone should continue
practicing throughout the year - on the way out or back from the
racecourse.  I've threatened my crew, when going below for beer after
the race, I may emerge instead with the bucket tied on a fender to toss
overboard.   "Pretend that's me in the water.  Get it back on-board and
you can have your beer!"  (they don't let me go for beer anymore ;-)

PS
I have a standing offer that any boat pulling me out of the lake has a
bottle of rum coming.
Scott Erdmann and the crew of J/24 "007" got two when they saved Joe and
I in 2005.
Read Near Tragedy Averted  by Craiggae Smith, Fall Weathermark 2005,
available at
http://www.wyc.org/Portals/0/WeathermarkPDF/weathermark-05-09.pdf