[J22-Fleet 1] Fleet 1 Update

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 22:53:16 CDT 2010

Fleet 1,

Just a quick update on results so far.  Sunday attendance is down a bit, but competition has been strong, while Thursday nights still boast close to 20 boats, second only to the Capri Fleet.  We've had the usual contingent on Saturday mornings for the Fleet 1 series (the best kept secret in the club) with MYC.

Congrats to Team 963 on winning the A series and leading going into this weekend's finale for the Fleet 1 Champ.  The G series is close as well, with Oranje leading Boogie by two points with one race to go.  Good luck to all.

Congratulations also to "Team John" (Peterson, Noller, and Dyer) on winning the Area Mallory Cup eliminations in Sheboygan this past Monday and Tuesday.  By doing so they've qualified for the finals of the US Men's Sailing Championship, also in Sheboygan, in September.  This is a big deal!  Let's all wish them well - and not talk too much trash - as they train in Sonars throughout the summer.

Quick reminder:  contact me first with any questions or concerns about the Fleet, Race Committee, club etc.  These things are best handled privately at first, this listserv is always available to vent if you're still unhappy.

Coming up... J-22 NA's in Buffalo in late August.  Team Virago is going, anyone else?  Other events?  Also please put Wednesday, August 18 on your calendar.  The MYC J-22 Fleet is hosting the grill n' chill following the race; this would be a great opportunity to get your team or family out for a night of racing, socializing and a great dinner at MYC.  It's also not too early to start thinking about the Evergreen Cup / District Champs in early September.  We're always looking for volunteers, and the time to comment on how you would like it run is NOW.

Finally, as we enter the middle of the season (already!) let's keep the attendance and motivation up.  Bring new people out, let your crew or someone else take the boat, bring the family, MAKE IT FUN.  We need SHOW people what a great Fleet and boat this is, it's not a hard sell!

See you on the water -

Thorn