[J22-Fleet 1] Alert: J22 Midwinters - Early registration close on Monday!!!!!

Peter Lovald peterlovald at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 07:41:38 CST 2011

Hello fellow J22 sailors,

I don't know about you but I have been following the Rolex Miami Olympic Class
Regatta especially watching Bert who is having a fantastic regatta so far in the
Sonar class (in 2nd overall as of this morning
http://www.ussailing.org/Rolex/2011/sonar/sonar.html), GO BERT!  Following the
play by play commentary online (don't worry Rich, I only look during lunch) is
definitely waking up the old "fewer" to go sailing and unfortunately this fewer
can't be cured by more cowbell!

But wait, there is a cure:  Early registration for the J22 midwinters closes on
Monday, regatta dates are February 23 - 26 - Get that trailer out of the shed
and head on south.  It looks like it is going to be a lot of fun and, not to
mention, much warmer than Minnesota (don't be fooled by the temporary peak into
the 30's, the freeze is coming back).  You can register on-line, just go to
www.j22mw.com.

If that wasn't enough, Charleston Raceweek will have a J22 start this year.  J22
champion extraordinaire and overall great guy, Greg Fisher, is the Director of
sailing at the College of Charleston and is trying to set up docking for the
22's (see below) and I'm sure he will make himself available to share from his
wealth of J22 knowledge as well.  There will be free parking/storage between
Midwinters and the Raceweek so why not make a little circuit tour out of it.

Sign up folks!

Have fun,

Jappa
District 4, Governor (just so you know I mean business -:))

"Hi Fellow J/22 sailors

I hope this letter finds you well and set for a great 2011 sailing season.
Hopefully you're all considering heading down to Tampa for the Midwinters in a
month. Davis Island , as you've heard, is a great club and they did a super job
a couple years ago for the 2009 J/22 Midwinters. www.j22mw.com

I know many of you have read  that the J/22 Class will be sailing at Charleston
Race Week this year. I wanted to tell you a little more about the regatta and
Charleston. Jo Ann and I moved down here late last fall and we love it. The
sailing is nothing less than spectacular. Charleston is 9 hours from Annapolis.
For those sailing the Midwinters, there is free boat storage for the time period
between the regattas still available so you can drop your boat off on the way
back north ( about 45 minutes off of rt 95).

I heard there are still some rooms left at the Charleston Harbor Resort (regatta
and party headquarters) at a reduced rate and the Holiday Inn Express has
reasonable pricing and is only 5 minutes from the marina. Here's the HI Express
link: http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/mount-pleasant/chsgr/hoteldetail

There is a water taxi that leaves from the resort and makes regular trips to
downtown Charlestown.
It sounds as though the skipper's meeting will be at 5pm at the Marina followed
by an excellent clinic on sailing in Charleston at 6pm. I will be around all
weekend and will be happy to help any J/22 sailors with any questions on trim
and tuning. Since I'm new to Charleston I'll be front row at the local knowledge
talk! I will be sailing 1586 at CRW so we are psyched to be back in the 22.

I am trying to arrange for the J/22's to dock in our basin at the College of
Charleston where I am the Director of Sailing. We are in the marina, just 200
yds from party central! I think most boats will launch in Charleston at either
Carolina YC or at Charleston YC. Our College of Charlestown sailing team will be
practicing that afternoon and I'll be on the water with them. If the breeze
isn't co-operating (unlikely in Charleston!) I will do my best to grab you guys
and tow you over to the marina. Just give me a call at 410 212 4916 or drop me
an email greg at gregfishersailing.comand I'll do my best to help you all make the
trip as easy as possible.

I truly hope you all give Charleston Race Week a shot- again, the sailing is
great, the parties "memorable", the city beautiful and it will be warm-
guaranteed!!  We look forward to seeing you!
Sincerely,

Greg Fisher"