[J22-Fleet 1] 7/24 Seminar wrap up

Michael Bowers msbowers_55431 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:49:02 CDT 2011

Thank you to all who participated.  I appologize for the lack of a post-sailing wrap up as promised.  In case you didn't get the message, the power boat died, making it difficult to take much video.  I will review what I got and see if I can post it to youtube or some other sharing format.

A few general on water observations that apply to several boats...

Skippers--during the tack your head needs to be up and looking at the sails.  Too many of you were worrying about the mainsheet cleat and as a result would oversteer the tack while your head was looking into the coxpit of the boat.

Middles--I saw a lot of inconsistent jib trimming.  While you are sailing upwind in the median breeze for the upcoming race, trim your jib in until the foot of the jib is just inside the teak rail, then run to leeward and site up the leach of the jib.  It should form an even gap wtih the main sail from the gooseneck to the top of the jib.  If the top is too wide, move the cars back.  If the top is too narrow, move the cars forward.  I generally use the most forward position (one aft of the middle screw on the track).  Also note, when you are happy with your trim, the distance from the jib car block to the clue of the jib.  Remember this length, after tacks and at the leeward rounding, trim your jib to this point, then make fine adjustments as the wind dictates.