[J22-Fleet 1] 2011 Frostbite

Lars Hansen lars at larshansenphoto.com
Sun Oct 30 11:46:47 CDT 2011

You missed a great race and a beautiful morning on the lake. Thanks to
Beth and Craig for letting us borrow the mighty "Parrrley".
The docks and boats were really slippery with a solid coat of frost/ice
from the freezing temps the night before, but the clear sky let the sun
warm things up quickly. The winds were very light to start with and
Blake wisely postponed while the wind oscillated from 165 to 235 and
back again. Once the wind settled in around 195 the course was set for a
WL 2 1/2. Looking up the beat we guessed that the wind might go further
left so we positioned ourselves down near the pin. At a minute to go we
decided on a port tack start at the pin. We crossed the world only to be
headed out to the right. When we got a little knock we made our move and
tacked to starboard. As we worked out to the left we were a little
concerned at how well the boats that had gone far right were doing.  We
limped back across the top and still managed to hold on to the lead at
the mark.
Having seen how well the right was doing we gybed pretty quickly to get
over there. As we got down the run we sailed into the tail end of the
J24s almost passing some of them at the gate.
Up the next beat we felt the right was still the place to be so we went
that way. As we got out to the right we kept looking for a way to get
back. We saw this one nice puff coming and got ready to tack.
Unfortunately as we started to tack we turned up and got lifted and
lifted and never actually tacked. When we did finally find a way to tack
we were pointed back, away from the mark. The saving grace was all the
other boats were pointed in weird directions going equally slow.
We limped through the middle of the race course trying to get into the
long awaited left shift which never materialized.
As we approached the second windward mark only about a boat length away
we were greeted by a shorten course signal and then the finish gun.
Another victory for the 865 team!
As you may or may not know the Frostbite trophy is one of the prettiest
and oldest trophies in the 22 fleet. I used to have it bolted to my
mantel it now lives bolted to Rod's mantel, it is safe again.
Lars