[J22-Fleet 1] Cool Cup Recap and Other Notes

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 20:11:50 CDT 2012

Fleet 1,

First, thanks to everyone who competed in last weekend's Cool Cup and helped to make it happen.  Thought cold on Saturday, the racing conditions were outstanding and we completed six quality races.  Complete results can be found here:  http://www.wyc.org/RacingResults/ResultsRaceSeries.aspx

The list of people to thank is long (but distinguished), and I'll probably miss one or two but here goes:  Blake, Dusty, Jerod, Dave Brasch, Karl Freienmuth and Kris Kaiser for providing outstanding racing and courses.  From experience that's usually colder than sailing.  Kevin Kenny, Fred Sommer, and Bruce Martinson for being the best kind of jury of all... the one you never need.  Jill for the dinner Saturday and lunch Sunday; Kris Kaiser, Judy Miller, CC Velarde, Dave Brasch and Seanman for helping with the cooking and cleaning.  John Dyer for getting the trophies and Steve Bren for helping to make it all possible.

Looking ahead, here are a few upcoming dates to keep in mind, as well as some general do's and don'ts coming out of the Fleet Captain's meeting last week.

- Pay Fleet dues.  If you didn't compete last weekend, you haven't paid.  You can send me a check at 6175 Deer Ridge, Shorewood, 55331, or use PayPal here:  http://wyc.org/j22/ShoppingCart.aspx.  My recommendation for next year is that this be a requirement to be scored at WYC.  As it is for this year we'll have to settle for shame and public humiliation.  Welcome thoughts and comments here.

- Join the US J-22 class.  We've removed this from being a requirement to be scored, compete in regattas, etc. but it's still a good idea.  We're Fleet #1, let's act like it and set the example.  Link here:  http://www.usaj22.com/membermgmt/membership_registration_start.php

- Encourage your crew to become WYC members.  This is expected of all regular crew, and at $95 / year is the best deal in town.  It costs the club over $1,000 to run an average race.  Again, let's set the example here.

- Attend as many of the following as you can:  On-the-water crew training sessions, 5/5, 12, and 19; Wine on Wayzata Bay and Family Fun Regatta June 15, 16, and 17; Fleet 1 Champs on Saturday mornings, and the A Series party (which we're co-hosting with the 24s) on June 17.

- Stay out of the "box" on Sundays and Thursdays until our prep signal (no change in start order from last year, we go 3rd after S2's and J-24's).  See SI's for details.

- Respect right-of-way rules for all classes, some of which may be sailing a different course.  A little courtesy goes a long way.

- Sail, have fun, and socialize with your crew and friends afterwards.

Don't:

- Park in the WCSC lot, along County Road 16, or in adjoining neighborhoods.  We're still working with the city on permits and any one of us can really mess this up.

- Park you boat anywhere but in your designated space.

- Contact Blake or Ernie with scoring errors or questions; e-mail me first.  Series scores cannot be changed after two weeks.  You won't be scored if club dues haven't been paid.

- Forget why we're out here; to enjoy the great Minnesota summers on Lake Minnetonka and an activity we love and are lucky to participate in!

Thanks again and look forward to seeing everyone on the water.

Thorn