[J22-Fleet 1] FW: missing scores

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue May 29 23:05:59 CDT 2012

Hi J22 Fleet,

These comments may or may not apply, but I would like to mention that,
besides retiring after finish (which should still appear on the official
scoring record), boats that are not scored MAY have not paid their dues or
mooring fees in full.  And, in the case of the J22 Fleet, the boat may be an
MYC boat that is sailing in the J22 Fleet #1 Champ Series, but is not scored
for the WYC Champion Series.

The WYC has a negotiated deal with the MYC that I worked out with them many
years ago, that the MYC boats (not member of WYC) can sail in our Sunday
races for the 5 Fleet #1 Champion Series and have their finish count toward
the Fleet #1 Championship, but it does not count toward the WYC Championship
Series if they are not members of the WYC.   In the “quid pro quo”, WYC
boats can sail on Saturday in the MYC champ races which are the Fleet #5
Championship Series, and their finish will only count toward the Fleet #1
Championship.  This should not be a problem for the WYC, even if some Sunday
races have to be manually scored to remove an MYC sailor’s finish (who is
not a member of WYC) to put the WYC Championship Series in its proper order.
This does not require bribing the WYC race committee, as this privilege is
reserved only for ME, the WYC RC Chair.  LOL.  Ernie and Thorn will take
care of this, hopefully.

Regards,

Bert

WYC RC Chair

PS:  I had some discussions after the race about the “O” course on Sunday,
and heard a number of negative concerns in that some people want to sail
only W2 ½s or W3 ½ s.  The “O” occurred because one of our wonderful PROs,
Charlie Onan, who was a legendary PRO on the RC a number of years ago, has
returned and was assigned to be the PRO last Sunday.  He was given the
responsibility to designate the course for the day (that is how we train
Pros to manage the stress of being a PRO)
without interference from Blake or me, and he decided that an “O” would be a
good variety to the windward/leewards that, to some degree, are boring if
all you ever sail is a windward/leeward.  I admire his chutzpah for making
that decision.  This stems from the past, when we used to sail a bunch of
“O”s, a bunch of T 1 1/3s, and a few windward/leewards.  Over the last 10 to
15 years, we’ve gone to almost entirely windward/leewards, because the race
is tactical both upwind and downwind.  I can tell you that in my Paralympic
experience the last 5 years, we have sailed nothing but 0.7-1.0 NM
windward/leewards,W 1.5, W2.5, orW 3.5 and that has been in 59 events over
the last 5 years.  While it has been incredibly exciting, tactical and
challenging, to some degree it is boring.  In talking to many people on
Sunday, a number of people were OK with an occasional “O”, and a number of
people were opposed to ever sailing anything but a W/L.  The Capri Fleet is
demanding that a reach never be sailed in winds over 8 or 10 knots, because
the boat rounds up inadvertently and is dangerous.  My personal opinion is
that I like the W/Ls, but one or two “O”s a year could be a welcome change
for many fleets.  The Race Committee is here to serve the fleets, and to
give them the courses and the program that they want.  You are welcome to
email me your thoughts at bert at apexq.com.