[J22-Fleet 1] Fleet 1 update from Anual Meeting

Michael Bowers msbowers55439 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:44:45 CDT 2015

Hello,

For those of you that missed it, Paul Cossette's new brewery, LynLake
Brewery in Uptown is a wonderful spot.  The space is great and the brew is
fantastic.  Many thanks to Paul for hosting the meeting/social.  I highly
recommend stopping in some evening when they're open to enjoy a craft beer.

Besides the socializing, we did discus a few logistical items.

1.)  There will be no Suday afternoon WYC fleet race start for the J22
Fleet on May 17th.  We'll be busy eating lunch and handing out trophies.

2.)  We will run the first "Rumble in the Bay" as a training session.  That
will be May 31st.  Kevin has agreed to organize again this year.  Some
brief discussion about fine tuning from last year focused on fewer
boat/boat transfers and more time between races for pure tuning/training.
We will not be flying in a pro, as we deemed that there was enough local
resources to pull from.

3.)  We nominated a few chair people to help distribute the work load and
to get better coordination of the events.  If you have ideas or would like
to volunteer some time and/or resources, here are your contacts:

Website:  Holly Anderson
Social:  Craig Smith
2015 Distric Regatta:  John Dyer
Rumble Training:  Kevin Kenny

4.) We do have money in the bank...by the grace of the WYC Race Chairman we
were discounted and/or forgiven several of the Race Committee fees
associated with running our regattas that had low turn out.  This
generosity coupled with several anonymous and overt donations from fleet
members have allowed us to break even on all of our events.

5.)  Lois Carlson presented a case for using Kattack.  It is free to
download onto your smart phone.  Case closed.  Put it on your phone, turn
it on during races to upload your data, turn it off after the race to save
your battery.  Watch replays of the races at the club or at your work desk
the next day.  I installed it right at the meeting.  Very easy, do it.

One final note, if you are at all on the fence about the Dave Cool Cup here
are a few enticements:  Excelsior Beer, Jill Fynboh is catering, Trophies
will be distributed deeper in the fleet and they will contain coveted items
like rigging tape and ring dings. Terry Flynn is flying into town to drive
Kevin's new boat.  Lars, Thorn, Terry Foster are all coming out of
retirement to drive J22s.  Let's not forget we have our current fleet
champion proving he's already up to speed by scoring several bullets at the
Mid-Winter regatta.  4 teams have already paid the entry fees and I haven't
even requested them yet.  In addition, we invited the J24 fleet to come
play with us and they have brought a ton of energy and enthusiasm to help
orgainze and socialize.  Find a boat, grab a crew; this is shaping up to be
one of the best Cool Cups in recent memory.

The later date in May should give us some much warmer water and better
weather for those of you (like my wife) that did not like getting sleeted
on 10 years ago and have refused to ever do the event again.  No excuses,
come play!  You deserve to have some fun.  NOR will be posted on the J22
website soon (if it is not already there).

Mike