[J22-Fleet 1] HS opportunity - gauging fleet interest

Matthew Thompson gavasaur at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:51:52 CDT 2015

Polling the fleet, there is a great opportunity for some more visibility
within the youth community and would provide a chance for local teams to
get in on the action.

This weekend was intended to be the High School Keel-boat Qualifier, at
Belmont Harbor in Chicago. The event has been cancelled, as it will be
blowing 25+ from the NE with 7-10 foot waves. Not ideal for their sonars.

This fleet race event has typically been limited to 4 teams in Chicago (as
CYC only owns four), so very few Minneapolis teams have been able to take
part in the past. Between WCSC's three boats, and hopefully with your help,
we could throw a great event - which we'd shoot to host the weekend after
districts - October 17/18th. More boats would allow more local teams. Both
LMSS and WCSC sailors made up a significant part of the J22 crew pool this
summer and will continue to become your base in future years. Good
publicity. Not our job to save a cancelled event, but if fleet #1 wanted to
show off, we'd love to organize and host.

I know many of you are planning on hauling boats post districts, as an
added incentive to hauling later and loaning your boat out, the event's
participants would be required to stay and assist with haul out that Sunday
following the event. We'd also put a big damage deposit down - $1000 - with
some serious check out and check in for your boat before passing back
checks.

Right now, this is all hypothetical. Boat options enables me to start
planning further. All I'm asking is if anyone would be willing to loan out
their boat for october 17/18th with some baggy practice sails. If you'd be
wiling in any capacity to help make an event possible, please get in touch!

Matthew Thompson
J22 #1311 Underdog