[J22-Fleet 1] J/22 Fleet #1 - September 2016 Newsletter

John Dyer dogbreath47 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:03:57 CDT 2016

J/22 Fleet #1 - September Update

*It's been a busy summer of racing for our fleet. We have several
volunteers to thank, crew & teams to recognize, racing schedule to share,
and, housekeeping to take care of.*

*Please Thank Our Fleet Volunteers*

We've had many volunteers who have really stepped up to make this a great
season.

First off, *Jill Fynboh* not only put together a wonderful Social and lunch
at the Dave Cool Ice Breaker, but also has put on a Social at all 3 Sunday
Bay Rumbles, making these fun Sunday races all the better. Thanks Jill!!

*Kevin Kenny* has tirelessly acted as the WYC Chief Judge for the club, and
also helped with every aspect of the J/22 fleet's management. He makes this
fleet hum.

*Holly Jo Anderson* has put together beautiful newsletters, created and
updated the fleet's Facebook page, smiled at everyone on the race course,
and been the US J/22 Class District 4 Governess. Ask to see her J/22 Tiara.

*Mikey Bowers* has been making sure the finances are in good order, and
providing perspective and input on important decisions while the fleet
captain was on vacation for half the summer.

*Jeff Cameron* took on a series of jobs, and took the lead on designing,
ordering and distributing fleet t-shirts.

*Julie Neal* is the J/22 Chairperson for the District Champs & Evergreen
Cup. She has been working closely with *Joshua Bone* of the J/24 fleet to
ensure we have a fabulous event.

If I missed mentioning your name, thanks for what you have done to support
our J/22 fleet!

*Recognizing Great Sailing*

As we move into September, let's take a moment and recognize our J/22
sailors who have won and placed in series that have been concluded.

Belated congratulations to *Holly Jo Anderson* and *Team MoXxie* for
winning the B Series (the second series of the Championship Series.)

23 J/22's competed in the *Sunset Series* this year! 8 different boats won
a race, making it a very close contest. Congrats go out, once again, to *Chad
Olness, Gary Christensen & Jon Monson* for winning the series. They are a
great team, not only having won the Sunset Series many times over, but are
gracious in sharing their knowledge and being helpful to other racers. They
are quality racers and individuals. *Rod Komis* on 865 sailed very well and
finished 2nd overall. *Dave Brasch and Mikey Bowers*, always at the top of
the fleet, finished 3rd.

*Mikey Bowers*, racing with his kids *Char* and *Nico*, won the *Big Island*
series. Mikey also won the *July Rumble*.

And cheers go out to *Richard Tong & Family* for winning the *August Rumble*
!

*Team 486* won the *MS Cup*. I believe winning this is an annual tradition
for *Mike Miller* and crew.

*Kaye Siemers and Maggie Hautz* won the *Women's Bay Series*, and *Bill
Siemers* represented the J/22's in the *Champion of Champions Regatta* at
MYC. We all are looking forward to a second or third Siemers boat on the
course to get the entire family out.

Finally, let's recognize several of our new racers who have done quite well
this summer. Here's to: *Paul Lague & Jochen Koenig*, *Russ Swanson*,
and, *Scott
Rosenbaum* *&* *Randy Olinger*. They have all had several very nice races,
and their skills continue to improve. We are proud they are racing with us!

*Upcoming Regattas *

*St. Croix Regatta Sail & Share*Sept. 10 & 11, 2016
Event Web Site <http://stcroixsailing.com/st-croix-regatta-sail-share/>

*WYC Fall Regatta*

Sept. 24 & 25, 2016

Wayzata Yacht Club, Lake Minnetonka

Great J/22 racing on the main lake, fabulous traveling trophy to
the winner, and it's free!

*District 4 Western Great Lakes Championship Regatta - The Evergreen Cup*

October 8 and 9, 2016

Wayzata Yacht Club, Lake Minnetonka

Event Web Page <http://wyc.org/j22/DistrictChampionship.aspx>

*Housekeeping *

*Protest Procedures*

There have been a lot of protests this summer. We are fortunate to have a
very fine crew of judges, but they are all volunteers, and deserve to
spend their off-the-lake time socializing and enjoying a cold beverage; not
in "The Room." To that end, please follow the 3 easy steps below.

1. *If you foul someone, please do a 720*. It's no big deal, and you will
earn some good karma.

2. If you have been fouled, you will go through arbitration, along with the
person you *believe* fouled you. The hope is that the issue can be resolved
without going to a full protest hearing. Please see WYC Notice of Race &
Sailing Instructions, linked here
<http://www.wyc.org/Sailing/Racing/SailingInstructions.aspx>.

3. See #1

*Scoring*

If you have notice that a score is incorrect, this year here's what you do.

1. If you notice the error that day, talk to Blake (PRO) or the race
committee before you leave.

2. If you notice after leaving the club, email Blake.

3. If these did not work, be prepared to file a protest, just so there is a
paper trail.

90% of errors are simple and fixable. Look the scores over asap; the
earlier you contact Blake, the easier it is to resolve.

*Crew Still Looking for Rides - Give 'em a Call*

·         A.J. Boissoneault, 419-265-2112, andre.boissoneault at parker.com,
Bow, trimmer, tactician

·         Chris Cox, 612-599-6361, dcsystems1 at gmail.com, J22 Racer on St.
Croix River

·         Cindy   Castle, cindy at photocastle.com, Beginner

·         Dave Jones,  301-481- 8822, davidjones at md.metrocast.net,
 Foredeck on Big Boats

·         Deanna Larsen, 507-530-1146, absolutedeanna at yahoo.com, Beginner

·         Ellie Mazio, 507.339.9271, nycgal at comcast.net, Lake City Keel
Boater

·         George Moore, 612-401-3932, georgemoore19750 at gmail.com, 420s

·         Heather Fogelson, 612-600-9389, Bow

·         Jason Peterson, jasgooday at gmail.com, Experienced J/22 Foredeck

·         Jay Schultz, 707-584-2417, JSchultz at parker.com, West coast big
boat experience

·         Kevin Eide, 612-716-8372, kevin.eide at courts.state.mn.us, Former