[J22-Fleet 1] Combined Championship Series with MYC

Paul Cossette Paul.Cossette at mortenson.com
Thu Mar 3 08:54:51 CST 2016

I am in full support.
Small price to pay for some great Saturday racing.
Count us in.

Paul I Cossette
Mortenson Construction
612-741-5444

On Mar 2, 2016, at 7:44 PM, John Dyer via J22 <j22 at lists.wyc.org<mailto:j22 at lists.wyc.org>> wrote:

Hi Folks,

We sadly learned this week that MYC's J/22 fleet is dissolving. They now have only two active boats, and those boats have chosen to race in the "Open" category. As a result, it was suggested at MYC that their portion of the Combined Championship Series (10 races total, sailed back-to-back, on 5 Saturday mornings), be eliminated.

Many of us consider the Combined Championship Series a key part, if not the core, of weekend racing. In reviewing the results from last year's Combined Championships, WYC had 11 boats participate, and 7 of those raced most of the races. Going back further, the number of J/22's sailing most races has actually increased each of the past 4 years. And with 3 new boats in our fleet for 2106, we expect those numbers to grow this year.

I have sent several emails to racers seeking input. All have been in favor of finding a way to continue the series. To that end, I have spoken with Mark Christensen, MYC J/22 #390, who has been most helpful. He indicated that MYC's J/22 fleet has been paying a fee, to cover the incremental costs associated with a separate start. Mark suggested we contact the MYC Race Committee, with an offer to pay that same amount, which is a one-time total of $390. If we do this, the fee could be covered by those participating paying an "event" fee, or by adding a small amount to fleet dues. In either case, if 10 boats participate, cost of $39 seems a reasonable one.

Unfortunately, the matter is time sensitive, as both the MYC and WYC schedules are on hold waiting for a resolution. As such, based on input received, I am going to make a proposal to MYC this Thursday on our fleet's behalf to cover the incremental costs of $390 for 2016. Again, this is a proposal, we won't know until their RC considers it.

If you have any questions, or comments, please contact me directly.

All the best,

John Dyer