[J22-Fleet 1] RaceQ app

Smith, Craig A (AME MN14) Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Thu Aug 10 12:48:12 CDT 2017

Lars,

Thanks for your interest. After “Katak-gate,” I gave up hope other J/22’s would participate.

The App is called RaceQ – available on iOS and Android.
Requires sign-up (free last year, but they said they may start charging at some point).

You can “preset” starting time at the dock and stow your phone – no more forgetting or fumbling on the starting line.
Automatically stops after programmed time, battery level, or speed (eg 60mph).  Interesting to watch a few boats “drive off” after last Thurs ;-)
Here’s my track  – they include other boats in the area.
http://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#userId=25963&updatedAt=2017-08-04T03:23:43Z&dt=2017-08-03T18:15:51-05:00..2017-08-03T20:31:54-05:00&boat=j22%20444

App is crowd source. The Sonars and Capri 25’s have been playing with it – adding marks, starting lines, etc (not always accurate, but close).  They’ve been compiling Thursday races – see
http://raceqs.com/regattas/57345

Limited playback on phone (colored bread crumbs show speed).

Fully featured on web interface – with Google map overlay, various perspectives (helm, top-down, etc), ability to measure performance against any pair of boats.
Automatically recognizes different fleets.

PS
I’ve yet to try this, but you can mount a GoPro camera to mainsail’s headboard (shows sail shape, crew, boom, and tiller positions) and they will use time-stamps to sync playback with GPS data.  This allows you to document what a “fast” sail shape looks like.