[J22-Fleet 1] RaceQs tracking

Kevin Kenny kevinpkenny at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 22:15:36 CDT 2017

While the process and cautions in M7 are similar and generally applicable, US Sailing and ISAF's Judge's Manual treat GPS Evidence as a unique topic as follows:
US Sailing Judges Manual6.9.6 GPS Evidence When allowed by class rules, Global System Positioning (GPS) devices have become increasinglypopular as on‐board equipment during racing. The GPS units may be owned by a party or madeavailable to a fleet during a regatta by the OA or outside entities.
Parties might wish to present information from these devices to the protest committee during ahearing. Usually the party wishes to use these devices as evidence that might depict:    Location on race course (e.g., during an OCS hearing)   Position relative to other boats or a mark.  Indication of course changes or penalty turns.
Typically, parties seek to introduce information from these devices AFTER an initial hearing,claiming that it meets the standard of “significant new evidence” as required under rule 66(Reopening).
The PC should consider the following questions:  Where was the location of the device on the boat (and vis‐à‐vis other boats –especially if supplied by an outside entity?  How was the device secured?    Is the information represent the original acquired data or was there some form ofprocessing or interpolation?  How were locations of marks and other objects determined?
Just as they would with photographic and video evidence, the PC should consider and useevidence from GPS devices with caution. Generally, GPS evidence:  Is rarely accurate enough to confirm boat‐to‐boat (or boat to starting line) distances.    Is usually not good enough to overturn the judgment of a race officer decidingwhether a boat is OCS at the starting signal. However, it may be useful in an OCSredress when a boat maintains, for example, that they restarted (perhaps by taking aturn around the pin end of the line), but the race committee did not record thatrestart.    Can be useful when the devices are on all boats to develop a "big picture" abouthow an incident unfolded (but once again, not “precise” locations of those boats).    Can help determine the timeliness and validity of either a one‐ or two‐turns penalty.    Can be useful in the case of mistaken or missing identity.
ISAF Judges ManualP.3.2 Marine navigation"... Arithmetical solutions can come from ... computers or GPS navigators andcan all can be equally valid whilst giving differing results. ... Navigation equipment and software programmes may be new or specially developed forcompetitor’s needs. When information from such software or equipment is needed toresolve a dispute, the PC may not have sufficient knowledge to be able to interpret thedata provided. Under such circumstances expert assistance should be sought from outsidethe jury. ..."
A few thoughts:
1. As WYC's SIs are silent, GPS track information (like Kattack or RaceQs) may be submitted by a party to the WYC PC to prove whatever point they are trying to make.
Please note: - Some regattas, like Star of the North Regatta, have SIs that prohibit the PC from considering GPS data.- When WYC originally went to a trapezoid course, there was a unfortunate protest involving most boats sailing the wrong course.  In the protest hearing, WYC Protest Committee accepted eyewitness testimony, photo evidence and Kattack GPS evidence.
2. WYC PC should take into account that GPS tracking has a margin of error or may not be functioning correctly (either independently or found contrary to all other information). 3. WYC PC has wide discretion to decide whether the GPS information is relevant (or irrelevant), supportive (or not supportive), conclusive (or inconclusive) in deciding the protest.
Official Dave Perry Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion, and in no way reflects the official opinion of the WYC Protest Committee of which I am a member.
Hope this helps!
Sincerely,
Kevin
Kevin Kennykevinpkenny at yahoo.com