[J22-Fleet 1] US Sailing National Championship Update (we are just over a month away!)

Jeffery Cameron Cameron at bipl.net
Wed Aug 22 10:38:21 CDT 2018

As you all know by now, the US Sailing National Championship (for the Mallory Trophy) will be held on the main lake from Sept. 25th-29th.  The trophies, participant medals, and US Sailing banners and marks have arrived.  The new sails for the boats should be arriving in the next week or two.  This is shaping up to be a terrific event and the WYC and J/22 Fleet #1 will be the showcase as they will be sailing at our club, on our lake, and with our boats!

Team Status
The US Sailing's Championship Committee has made twelve selections for this year's event.  There will be 12 teams vying for the championship (barring any withdrawals by the teams invited) including a team from the WYC.  The teams look quite formidable, so it should be a tough event to win.

Boat Status
We have 14 J/22s that owners have graciously allowed us to use.  We will likely use 10 in the rotation and keep two as spares (prepped, on the main lake, and ready to go) and two in reserve (at the club that can be moved into a spare spot if a spare or rotation boat has an issue).  I would like a couple more boats to make sure we have enough available in case a boat has an issue at Worlds which ends just prior to this event.  So, if you have not done so already and would consider letting the WYC borrow your boat, please contact me to arrange to do so.  We will take good care of it.

Boat Prep
Lars Hansen, Jon Monson, and I are beginning to do our review of boats for any pre-regatta issues, so that the boats will be as close to equal as possible.  Accordingly, we will be looking at boats this Thursday from 1-4 to try to review as many as possible this week.  If you have volunteered your boat and it is locked or on a buoy, please contact me to make arrangements for us to access it at that time, if it is possible for us to do so, or to arrange another time.

Discounted Sails Status
North Sails agreed to equip the 10 boats with new sets of sails for the regatta, under the condition that the sets of sails be presold before the regatta.  We have presold all 10 sets!  Thank you all for securing these sets so that the teams will have the most competitive boats possible.  A special shout out to Russ Swanson who offered to buy a set in the event we were short on buyers even though he already had a new set.  Fortunately, we had enough interested buyers that we did not have to ask Russ to do that, but it is a testament to the great people we have in this Fleet and many thanks to Russ for that offer!

Spectating
This regatta will be intense as the teams are excellent, the races will be on short courses, and there should be a lot of them (possibly more than 30 races).  We encourage everyone to come out and see some of the action.  Feel free to bring your own boat out to see the racing or come join us on a spectator boat.

Volunteering
There are many, many small and large tasks to make this event a success.  If you are interested in helping out with anything, large or small (e.g., check in person, support boat driver, fundraising help, etc.), please contact me.

I hope to see you all on the water either as participants, spectators, or volunteers!

Jeff Cameron
cameron at bipl.net<mailto:cameron at bipl.net>
(612) 203-7259