[J24 ListSrv]Gone Sailing

Tim Oelschlager tim.oelschlager at mchsi.com
Fri Oct 8 01:52:43 CDT 2004

Not Over Yet??
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who couldn’t make it to The Great Racing Regatta, Dist.15
Championship we had plenty of great wind. 14-18 knots NNW sat. 25+++ SSW on
Sunday. Sunny in the 60’s and 70’ Great wind what more could you ask for?
The regatta went very well and everything ran very smoothly. The race
committee as always did a stellar job of setting the courses and getting the
races going. The wind gods cooperated. The Becks beer was flowing. A huge
raffle full of very cool prizes, from Maui Jim sunglasses to cases of Becks
Beer.   Look for the results on the Lake Geneva Yacht Club website.
Our local boats Hellfire, Dave Bennett took a 3rd in the first race, and a
fourth in the 3rd race. Great job Dave & crew. Uncle John Gjerde And Rolf
Turnquist on The World Famous Oz, [don’t mess with them] won the 3rd race,
took a 2nd in the fourth race, with the genoa up in 25 knots of breeze, glad
I didn’t have to bring that baby in. [changing to the hundo while planing
down the run before the race was over] Finishing 3rd overall in the regatta,
Very impressive!!! Scott Erdmann on 007 took a 7th in the second race and a
9th in the fifth race. Not too shabby for picking up half of his crew at
Chuck’s Friday night.
We might have a chance to continue this regatta by doing a combined J/24,
Melges 24 event. With either separate courses or alternating starts, and
different upwind marks. We’ll see how this goes, it just an idea and I’ve
got to talk the Melges 24 kids into it. Keep your fingers crossed.
Does anyone have any pictures or know someone who has any of boats sailing
last weekend in Geneva??? We’ve got a writer who is doing a story about the
regatta and needs some pictures for the article, which will be published in
Sailing World and the J/24 Magazines. Let me know if you can find any,
Thanks.
I have the annual District Governors Meeting for the J/24 Class coming up
the 16 of Oct. in Dallas Fort Worth, Texas. I would like your input as to
what you would like to see the J/24 class do to better support it’s members,
and promote J/24 sailing. Let me Know what’s happening in your fleet. What
regatta’s your planning on hosting or would like to host. Boats for sale,
looking for a boat?
I’m not sure yet, but I believe The Great Lakes Champ. Will be in our Dist.
Next summer.   The Dist. 15 [that’s us] Championship Regatta site and the
Great Lakes haven’t been decided upon yet. Does anyone want to host these
events? Wilmette or Milwaukee for the Great Lakes? Wayzata, Muskegon, Geneva
for the Districts?
Depending on if we can save the Geneva Regatta one more time or not, might
change some of the regatta schedules. If we cant have Geneva regatta again
the Wayzata, Lake Minnetonka Regatta might move to the early Oct. time slot
to fill that spot. Any other ideas?

Jibe Ho,

Tim Oelschlager
Your Dist.15 Gov.