[J24 ListSrv] Kattack Presentation

Tom Verburgt tom at verburgt.com
Sun Apr 23 10:46:12 CDT 2006

I wanted to take time to thank everyone who was at the J24 meeting last week
for giving me time to present the Kattack software. I was pleased with the
level of interest and surprised by the number of skippers that had GPS units
or would be willing to purchase one to add to the ten that Kattack will be
providing the fleet.

There were a lot of questions on the type of GPS to get so here's some info.

Basic Requirements:

WAAS enabled (WAAS gives +/- 3meters accuracy, without it +/- 10meters)

USB dataport (some units have slower RS232 dataports which will work but
take much longer to download the data)

Waterproof

Handheld

Must be Garmin

Battery life is also an important feature to consider

If you are looking to buy a unit, we are recommending Garmin Etrex Legend C
or better.  You can get them for around $250 on www.amazon.com
<http://www.amazon.com/> . I also saw a new one on ebay with a buy-it-now
price of $199. If you have difficulty finding one, we can order one for you
and pass it on at cost.

If you already have a unit that may not be WAAS enabled or have a slower
dataport, we will try to work with you and may ask that you bring the data
cable to the club. The one "must have" requirement is that the GPS units are
from Garmin and they must have a dataport.

To summarize Kattack's proposal to the fleet.

1.	Kattack will provide 10 GPS units to the fleet. Owners with their
own GPS units are encouraged to use them to increase the number of boats
wired.
2.	Kattack will have desk set up where GPS's can be checked out before
the race and turned in after.
3.	The Kattack desk will be manned on Thursdays. We may include Sundays
later in the season or based on popular demand.
4.	Kattack will provide race replay highlights after the data has been
downloaded to the GPS units. This requires that everyone get their GPS to
the club ASAP after the race.
5.	Once our web site is complete, we will start uploading the data to
www.kattack.com <http://www.kattack.com/>  web site for replay at home. This
feature will not be up and running until mid-summer.
6.	We are looking for volunteers to work with during the season. You
will be required to mount a small holster on the safety rail or base of the
backstay.

Just as a reminder, here's how the program works.

1.	Before the race, you check out a GPS from the Kattack desk. (not
necessary if you have your own)
2.	You drop the GPS in the holster mounted on your boat.
3.	Sail your race
4.	Turn the GPS unit back into the Kattack desk after the race.
5.	Watch the replay and see in living color and see how you crushed the
fleet!

The boats I have verbal commitment from to participate.

Heels

Zoom

Rush

007

Gotcha

Kryptonite

Asylum

Sleeper

Hellfire

If I missed you or you would like to be added, or would like to bow out,
please let me know.

Also please feel free to contact me with any questions. You can reach me
at..

Tom.Verburgt at Kattack.com

612 309 3361

We at Kattack are hoping our software provides both entertainment and
information that helps improve everyone's performance on the racecourse. We
are excited about working with the WYC and the J24 fleet to complete the
beta testing of the Kattack software. I will remind everyone that we are
beta testing the software and there may be a few glitches so please be
patient.

See you on the race course

Tom Verburgt

President