[J24 ListSrv] 2007 J24 Season Begins!

Tom.Rickman tom.rickman at target.com
Mon Apr 16 20:33:17 UTC 2007

Greetings J24 sailors,

The ice is off the lake and many of our boats are in our driveways.
It's going to be an exciting year as we ramp up to the 2008 North
Americans.  This is an ideal time to build our fleet and we're asking
each of you to do your part. We all benefit from having a big healthy
fleet.  There is nothing better than having twenty plus boats on the
line.  We've had it before, I believe it's achievable again.

Here's what each of us should be doing:

Get the word out about the North Americans.  This is truly a time to
brag!

Mention the ready availability of boats of all levels.  Yes, you *can*
get into the J24 fleet for under $5k and some elbow grease but it's also
easy to buy a ready to race program for a very reasonable amount.  We
are posting J24s for sale in our area on our fleet website:
http://www.wyc.org/j24/forSale.html  The bottom line is, if you know of
someone who has even the slightest interest in buying their own boat at
WYC, be sure you mention how great the J24 is.  I will personally help
anyone interested get hooked up with a boat if you send them my way.

Volunteer for club events.  The J24 fleet will be co-hosting the A
Series party.  We need to have great participation at this event. There
will also be opportunities to volunteer for other fleet regattas too.
I'll be asking you for help as these come up.

If you don't know already, the club is going to be equipped with a new
optimal setup for viewing Kattack replays.  I believe that having our
races displayed with all our boats being tracked helps our fleet look
good.  This year, we are responsible for owning our own GPS
<http://kattack.com/Support/HardwareRequirements/tabid/62/Default.aspx>
s. I've just purchased a Garmin eTrex Venture cx
<http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Venture-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000F3
DYUU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7115421-7674530?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=11767
50141&sr=1-1>  on eBay for a great deal.  You can certainly buy the same
unit from Amazon or many other web retailers too. The point is,  this is
a great technology we can learn from but only if we participate.  WYC is
picking up the tab for the software so we should take advantage of it.
You don't want to have the Capri replay with twenty-five boats and the
J24 fleet with just three do you?  It's just good PR to have our races
spectator worthy at the club. Order your GPS now!

Fleet dues for 2007 are $60 payable to J24 Fleet 1. Send your check to:
Chad Olness
415 North Main St.
PO Box 106
Lesueur, MN 56058
You can also give me your check at the club if you'd like.

Get your fellow crewmembers to sign up for this email list on WYC.org .
It's the best way to get the word out.

Feel free email or call me anytime!

Tom Rickman
Humble Fleet Captain